D0 Stepping

Hey.... again!

I have had a lot of help on these forums lately regarding PSU and RAM, i am buying a new
computer and i want best bang for buck on this pc.

I was about to press "BUY" when i saw... D0 Stepping on one of the Core i7-920 cpu's.
And i immediately started to google it, but did not really get the hardcore explanation anywhere.
There seemed to be some overclocking advantages and so on, but i need to know for sure.

What exactly is D0 Stepping, and is it worth 35$ more ?

CPU = Core i7-920 2,66

Thanks in advance
9 answers Last reply
More about stepping
  1. If you are an Overclocker or want to Overclock... it is worth the extra $35. The D0 is a newer version that requires less voltage, which means less heat... less heat, equals greater overclocking potential.

Read this article... gives a liitle info. on the D0 Stepping.... Intel preps new Stepping Core i7 920
  2. ^ yeah but chances are you got a good C0, and good D0's will make it to 4.6ghz.

and what heatsink have you got on that 975? I'm quite sure a nice heatsink will take it past 5Ghz.
  3. Thanks for your help guys :)

When you mention overclocking, i did not actually plan to overclock that much, i tried that on my
    pentium 4 once but it never became any success, not even with very good cooler.

But times have changed i guess, and as some say here the i7-920 can be clocked easely to
    over 4 ghz ?. That is amazing. Back in the pentium 4 days i remember i could put like 15% in
    BIOS and it became unstable lol.

I'm going to buy the Cooler master V8 cooler i think. How much could i overclock the
    i7-920 with that before any signs of problems appear ?. I might also buy the V10 cooler but
    that one is HUGE!.

:D
  4. I would recommend you buy the XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail over the Cooler Master V8 or V10. You get equal or better cooling with it for less money. Check out this website for reviews..... FrostyTech

Overclocking will vary from people to people but you should be good to go up to 3.6GHz, which is the SWEET spot for processor speed.
  5. Ahh thanks. I am actually going to go with your advice on this one.
    They didn't have the S-1283 on the shop i'm buying. But they had the S-1284.

I guess there is not much change in them.
  6. actually there is quite a bit of change in them.. dammit xD. just found out.
  7. CaptivA said:
    Thanks for your help guys :)

When you mention overclocking, i did not actually plan to overclock that much, i tried that on my
    pentium 4 once but it never became any success, not even with very good cooler.

But times have changed i guess, and as some say here the i7-920 can be clocked easely to
    over 4 ghz ?. That is amazing. Back in the pentium 4 days i remember i could put like 15% in
    BIOS and it became unstable lol.

I'm going to buy the Cooler master V8 cooler i think. How much could i overclock the
    i7-920 with that before any signs of problems appear ?. I might also buy the V10 cooler but
    that one is HUGE!.

:D

I read somewhere recently that just about all the D0s can hit 4.2GHz on good air cooling. Will have to look for the linky however.
  8. In the case of overclocking, are these cpu's protected from overheating and such ?.
    I mean, if i overclock it wrong will it shut down by itself before it get's destroyed ?
  9. Anybody know ?

I remember many years ago i saw this film about what happened to cpu's when they removed
    the cooling on it. And i remember Pentium Cpu's that just shut down to protect itself and that
    AMD K6 or whatever it was melted.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Product