Sign in with
Your question

D0 Stepping

Last response: in CPUs
June 11, 2009 2:05:34 PM

Hey.... again!

I have had a lot of help on these forums lately regarding PSU and RAM, i am buying a new
computer and i want best bang for buck on this pc.

I was about to press "BUY" when i saw... D0 Stepping on one of the Core i7-920 cpu's.
And i immediately started to google it, but did not really get the hardcore explanation anywhere.
There seemed to be some overclocking advantages and so on, but i need to know for sure.

What exactly is D0 Stepping, and is it worth 35$ more ?

CPU = Core i7-920 2,66

Thanks in advance

More about : stepping

a c 78 à CPUs
June 11, 2009 4:13:32 PM

If you are an Overclocker or want to Overclock... it is worth the extra $35. The D0 is a newer version that requires less voltage, which means less heat... less heat, equals greater overclocking potential.

Read this article... gives a liitle info. on the D0 Stepping.... Intel preps new Stepping Core i7 920
June 11, 2009 6:54:53 PM

^ yeah but chances are you got a good C0, and good D0's will make it to 4.6ghz.

and what heatsink have you got on that 975? I'm quite sure a nice heatsink will take it past 5Ghz.
Related resources
June 11, 2009 11:23:39 PM

Thanks for your help guys :) 

When you mention overclocking, i did not actually plan to overclock that much, i tried that on my
pentium 4 once but it never became any success, not even with very good cooler.

But times have changed i guess, and as some say here the i7-920 can be clocked easely to
over 4 ghz ?. That is amazing. Back in the pentium 4 days i remember i could put like 15% in
BIOS and it became unstable lol.

I'm going to buy the Cooler master V8 cooler i think. How much could i overclock the
i7-920 with that before any signs of problems appear ?. I might also buy the V10 cooler but
that one is HUGE!.

:D 
June 12, 2009 4:34:56 PM

Ahh thanks. I am actually going to go with your advice on this one.
They didn't have the S-1283 on the shop i'm buying. But they had the S-1284.

I guess there is not much change in them.
June 12, 2009 5:15:20 PM

actually there is quite a bit of change in them.. dammit xD. just found out.
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2009 5:48:37 PM

CaptivA said:
Thanks for your help guys :) 

When you mention overclocking, i did not actually plan to overclock that much, i tried that on my
pentium 4 once but it never became any success, not even with very good cooler.

But times have changed i guess, and as some say here the i7-920 can be clocked easely to
over 4 ghz ?. That is amazing. Back in the pentium 4 days i remember i could put like 15% in
BIOS and it became unstable lol.

I'm going to buy the Cooler master V8 cooler i think. How much could i overclock the
i7-920 with that before any signs of problems appear ?. I might also buy the V10 cooler but
that one is HUGE!.

:D 

I read somewhere recently that just about all the D0s can hit 4.2GHz on good air cooling. Will have to look for the linky however.
June 13, 2009 5:10:10 AM

In the case of overclocking, are these cpu's protected from overheating and such ?.
I mean, if i overclock it wrong will it shut down by itself before it get's destroyed ?
June 15, 2009 1:39:48 AM

Anybody know ?

I remember many years ago i saw this film about what happened to cpu's when they removed
the cooling on it. And i remember Pentium Cpu's that just shut down to protect itself and that
AMD K6 or whatever it was melted.
!