Solved

Comp won't boot with 2 sticks of ram

Hi, i have a G31M-ES2L motherboard, and it has 2 DDR2 ram slots with dual channel, so I went and bought G.SKILL 4GB (2 x
2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 ram. When I try and start my computer with both the sticks, my lights just flash and the computer won't turn on, So I tried just one. After waiting about 5 minutes, the computer started normally again. I tried testing out both the sticks, and both of them are working fine. Does anyone know the problem?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about comp boot sticks
  1. If this is your memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231173

it wants 1.9V. What voltage do your mobo (BIOS) and CPUID Hardware Monitor (download) say your mobo is using?

Try increasing voltage in 0.1 step increments to a max of 2.1V.

if that doesn't work, the mobo has issues.
  2. ok i will try and get back to you
  3. OK, I upped the voltage +0.2 and now my computer is runner with both sticks, but now the problem is that it only recognizes 2gb of ram, and that when i boot up it says running in single channel mode. I checked in BIOS and I don't think there is a option to enable or disable it. Can you help me with this?
  4. Best answer
    Single channel mode sorta makes sense since your mobo still isn't seeing the memory in slot #2 (You need to sticks for dual channel).

Try "Reloading Optimized Defaults" and then set mem voltage to +0.2V and try again. Continue to increase voltage by 0.1V to a max of 2.1V and retrying each time.

If that fails - and if you bought those sticks as a matched pair - the mobo has issues.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte DDR2 RAM Computer Motherboards Product