AUTOCAD WITH GP GRAPHICS CARDS

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Products
  • CAD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2009 7:26:58 PM

Anyone using or testing AutoCAD 2009/2010 or related products with modest general purpose graphics cards like the 4670/4830/9600GT/8800GT/9600GT?

More about : autocad graphics cards

a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2009 7:56:28 PM

It will work fine with any of those cards .

CAD programs do not benefit from gaming gfx cards designed to redraw a 3d image many times a second .

The quaddros are near identical hardware , usually detuned a bit , and with purpose written drivers .

April 4, 2009 12:20:46 AM

I'm trying to get a feel for the 2D performance, which is where most of our work takes place. For instance, the last video card I replaced I used an 8600GT, which is noticeably faster than our old 6600 cards. So I'm wondering where the sweet spot lies.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2009 12:27:02 AM

I don't know much about it but all of the cards you mentioned in your original post should be much better in 2d drawing than the 8600gt.

The 9600gt is a massively better card than the 8600gt in 3d terms, and I'd assume that applies towards 2d as well. I truly couldn't tell you for sure at 2d, but those cards you mentioned are all on a similar level in 3d performance, and well ahead of the 8600gt in the same regard. At least twice as good, going to 3x and more.

I doubt they will perform as well in 2d but there surely should be at least a noticable improvement, at least I'd hope so.
April 4, 2009 10:09:24 AM

Breaking the rules. You double posted!
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2009 2:16:10 PM

Any card you listed will do. It all comes down to how much performance you want. You can mod those "gaming" cards in to "workstation" cards using softmods.

For nVidia cards:
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539

There is mod for ATI cards also, but I lost my link to it.

=========
OP please don't double post.
April 4, 2009 4:26:16 PM

No matter how much you mod, a gaming card can never come close to a workstation card.
April 9, 2009 10:47:00 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Any card you listed will do. It all comes down to how much performance you want. You can mod those "gaming" cards in to "workstation" cards using softmods.

For nVidia cards:
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539

There is mod for ATI cards also, but I lost my link to it.

=========
OP please don't double post.

Thanks for the help. Sorry about the double post; I wasn't logged in when I went to post the message, and evidently when I logged in during posting the message it caused a double post (first click without being logged in, second click after logging in.)
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2009 11:09:42 PM

I use Autocad 2009 on my pc. My old card is 8800GT OC 512. My current card is GTX-280 OC. Im pretty happy with it even with the 8800GT. My display resolution is 1080P on a 70inch Display.

I do a lot of design work on my PC not just Autocad. The performance is very good.

It depends on what you are doing. Workstation graphics is just too expensive. I supposed you don't need graphics resolution better than 32 bit.

I don't have an idea of sweet spot. The performance gets better as i upgraded from 8800GT to GTX280.

My bigger issue is when my file approaches 20GB to 30GB. The SATA interface seems to be insufficient. The lag time is very clear.

I have 8 Gbyte of RAM, with RAID-0 on the main drive.

April 10, 2009 8:43:19 AM

I use the 8800GT also and very impressed, the last monitor was the Samsung 226BW (excelent) but just got the HP LP2465 wow :love:  .

I work with all types of CADD applications for 3d + 2d draughting and find this a very good card, more than capable. I got the card for gaming purposes - I use workstation type cards at the office and not impressed one bit compared to the caming cards. Ive been on cadd for well over 20 years so Im no novice.
!