AUTOCAD WITH GP GRAPHICS CARDS

werepossum

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
Anyone using or testing AutoCAD 2009/2010 or related products with modest general purpose graphics cards like the 4670/4830/9600GT/8800GT/9600GT?

It will work fine with any of those cards .

CAD programs do not benefit from gaming gfx cards designed to redraw a 3d image many times a second .

The quaddros are near identical hardware , usually detuned a bit , and with purpose written drivers .

werepossum

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
I'm trying to get a feel for the 2D performance, which is where most of our work takes place. For instance, the last video card I replaced I used an 8600GT, which is noticeably faster than our old 6600 cards. So I'm wondering where the sweet spot lies.

jennyh

Splendid
I don't know much about it but all of the cards you mentioned in your original post should be much better in 2d drawing than the 8600gt.

The 9600gt is a massively better card than the 8600gt in 3d terms, and I'd assume that applies towards 2d as well. I truly couldn't tell you for sure at 2d, but those cards you mentioned are all on a similar level in 3d performance, and well ahead of the 8600gt in the same regard. At least twice as good, going to 3x and more.

I doubt they will perform as well in 2d but there surely should be at least a noticable improvement, at least I'd hope so.

werepossum

Distinguished
May 12, 2007

Thanks for the help. Sorry about the double post; I wasn't logged in when I went to post the message, and evidently when I logged in during posting the message it caused a double post (first click without being logged in, second click after logging in.)

leon2006

Distinguished
I use Autocad 2009 on my pc. My old card is 8800GT OC 512. My current card is GTX-280 OC. Im pretty happy with it even with the 8800GT. My display resolution is 1080P on a 70inch Display.

I do a lot of design work on my PC not just Autocad. The performance is very good.

It depends on what you are doing. Workstation graphics is just too expensive. I supposed you don't need graphics resolution better than 32 bit.

I don't have an idea of sweet spot. The performance gets better as i upgraded from 8800GT to GTX280.

My bigger issue is when my file approaches 20GB to 30GB. The SATA interface seems to be insufficient. The lag time is very clear.

I have 8 Gbyte of RAM, with RAID-0 on the main drive.

MikeRua

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I use the 8800GT also and very impressed, the last monitor was the Samsung 226BW (excelent) but just got the HP LP2465 wow :love: .

I work with all types of CADD applications for 3d + 2d draughting and find this a very good card, more than capable. I got the card for gaming purposes - I use workstation type cards at the office and not impressed one bit compared to the caming cards. Ive been on cadd for well over 20 years so Im no novice.