Sign in with
Your question

Need help to update my Intel Pentium D

Last response: in CPUs
June 11, 2009 2:21:28 PM

My name is David Suchan from India, I've a PC of this config...

Processor:
Intel Pentium D 945 3.40 GHz
Code Name: Presler
Package: Socket 775 LGA

Board:
Intel D946GZIS

Memory:
Transcend 512MB DDR2(333 Mhz)

Hard Disk:
160 GB, Seagate

I'm hardcore gaming fan, so pls help me to update my PC.....I used to have a nVidia Graphic Card but it failed.

Now, I'm looking for a perfect configuaration which suite exactly for my use like
1.Internet,
2.Game Play,
3.Running Servers like Apache,
4.Music & Video Entertainment and
5.Other Misc works

Pls help me.....so that I'd be not able to look forward for the next coming technology processors or updates.....

email is davidsuchan@gmail.com

I can spend upto 330 US dollars for this update.

Waiting for the reply...

More about : update intel pentium

Related resources
June 11, 2009 6:35:34 PM

shubham1401 said:
What kind of games do you play?
Are you happy with the processor?
Which parts do you prefer and want to buy?
first answer these questions.

And gamerk316......I think some of the core 2 duo's are supported
http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.asp...

I play Games like GTA, Strong Hold and all that hard 3D games........
June 11, 2009 6:37:44 PM

I want to replace my Mobo and add a GPU to that, thats the only idea I have in mind for now....but I need some helpful suggestions.....

Thanks for all the replies........
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2009 7:48:41 PM

Actually you dont need to change the processor right now.and not even the mobo.
just buy a Geforce 9600gt or radeon HD4670 and place it in your mobo.
and ya do check the power supply requirement.

a b à CPUs
June 11, 2009 7:57:29 PM

I cant give a better answer because i need to know what monitor you have and at what resolution you want to play all the games.and which power supply you have and its wattage?
Those graphic cards comes in RS 4500-6000 range.get the one with ddr3 memory.
Then your pc will be able to run all the games at 1280X1024 resolution and even better!
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2009 8:00:09 PM

Oh sorry!forgot to add get some more ram......they are dirt cheap nowadays.
get the 2 gb transcend jetram chip(check the "Mhz").

June 11, 2009 8:47:55 PM

I say upgrade ram to 4gb (since its cheap to do), and buy yourself a decent midrange video card that doesnt hog up too much power (something like an HD4670)...no need to spend the full $330
June 11, 2009 10:01:49 PM

If i were you with that budget i would buy :

ASUS P5KPL AM iG31 socket 775

Intel E5200 processor

Power Colour HD 4670 1GB DDR3 Duel DVI PCI-E graphics card

This will leave you with some change to get some RAM and for what you do you will need no more than 2GB

That graphics card is the best value for money you can buy.
June 12, 2009 1:09:06 AM

First thanks for all the suggestions..........

I'm using a LCD Monitor and uses 1280x1024 Resolution with a refresh rate 60 Hz as default.

Well, as far by now.... I'm thinking of going with Subham's suggestion ie

Getting a Video Card with DDR3 and increase my ram to 2GB.....

Again, which is better? Kingston or Transcend?
I dont have any idea abt the power supply, anyone pls help me ......what is that and what power it is regarding with? Processor or Mobo or my entire PC?

Again, Thanks for all the help, you guys are doing a great job........
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2009 1:54:31 PM

It doesnt matter which brand ram you buy.
transcend and kingston both are good.
regarding the power supply i would like to give you some info:
power supply is another name for the SMPS.
All the cpu components are powered by a PSU.
It has a lots of wires coming out of it.
just see how much watts is written on the PSU and tell the brand name.
June 12, 2009 11:28:41 PM

I've checked my PSU and it is of 400W..............
June 12, 2009 11:30:58 PM

The brand name is Zebronics................
a c 83 à CPUs
June 13, 2009 12:14:16 AM

Go with a 4670, it can probably max any game out on 1280x1024 as it does a good job on most games even at 1680x1050. It'll run fine on a 400W power supply. Than also get some more ram, either 2Gb or 4Gb.
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2009 11:56:55 AM

Oh man !!You have a zebronics PSU.....
zebronics make two kind of psu- good ones and the cheap ones also.
if it is a gold or platinum series PSu then it is okay .if it is a cheap zebby psu then you might have to upgrade.
one more thing you have to do.....just check the amperage on the +12 v(written on a slip pasted on the psu)
post it to me here .

The reason i m asking all these is that cheap psu are made of cheap components(chinese).....when too much of power is drawn from them they just burn themselves along with the other components like cpu mobo etc etc....

always keep in mind that whenever you want to upgrade video card then you have to check the power supply.

you can buy some good psu by coolermaster or corsair.......even zebby platinum series is good .
June 13, 2009 10:46:09 PM

Thanks Shubham,

I think that is the reason my earlier Geforce 7300 burned out.....thats the reason, I've plenty of doubts, I spent almost 100 USD ( Rs 4500 ) for 7300.........now I think I wont have any probs later if I go with this config...

HD 4670
PSU by coolermaster or corsair

One last doubt, Video Cards only burn with the cheap PSU...right?
I thought bcuz my mobo is not compatible, so thats why its burnt out.

When I used to play the games, the sound from the CPU is horrible, my CPU fan rotates with some weird sound, so I've to change my CPU fan too?

( I'll tell you which series of PSU I'm using ....and also the amperage in my next post )

Thank alot.....man !
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2009 6:41:15 AM

I have one incident like that also.I bought a geforce 6200TC 5 years ago.i put it in my system and after 6 months it burnt!
no not the card but my cpu and mobo.(it was a pentium 4 2.66ghz) and the psu was generic(intex).
The fan of your CPU is making noise at high speeds(i.e. when you play games cpu usage goes up as well as temp so fan rotates faster).It depends on you whether you wanna change it or not.
If you cant bear the noise and its very annoying then change it otherwise dont change it.
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2009 8:03:25 PM

I would like to make a change........
buy 4 gb ram instead of 2 gb.......cuz 2 gb is not enough for some latest games.
it will be around RS2000(buy 2 chips of 2 gb ram).
and a 500w coolermaster psu will be good enough.
and if you wanna change the fan and heatsink then i would advise you to buy ARCTIC COOLER FREEZER 7 for RS 1000 approx.

.collect more info about all these components on net b4 buying anything.
June 15, 2009 8:03:01 PM

Where the hell in INDIA ( Bangalore ) can I get this ARCTIC COOLER FREEZER 7?

I've seen their website, there's no india mentioned......also, for PSU, ...Corsair also better right?

Corsiar vs Cooler Master.......which one? Pls be specific.......Cuz I'm gonna give my entire list here before I buy !!!

Million Thanks again, cuz only bcuz of you I came to know lot abt PC products.....Cheers man !!

Cooler Master, I'd go for Heat Sink.........
June 15, 2009 8:05:50 PM

this is my wish list I'd like to buy.....

RAM : 2 x 2 GB 667 DDR2 ( King or Trans whichever available )

PCI : Radeon HD 4670

Cabinet Fan : 12 Cm Blue Neon from COOLER MASTER

PSU & Heat Sink : Waiting for your advice........

Thanks
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2009 4:27:29 PM

Cabinet Fan : 12 Cm Blue Neon from COOLER MASTER
Why this thing man?I guess you are not thinking to replace the proccy fan with it.
in my above post i said CPU fan making noise.I meant processor fan making noise(processor is called CPU in general).

PSU: 1. Corsair CX400 ~3.2k
2. Cooler Master RS-500-PCAR Extreme Power 500W ~ 2.7k..
First one is bigger priority if you dont find it then second one.
and ya corsair makes better psu than coolermaster.

This link can help you find a PSU of your choice and compare prices:
http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=151

And search for Arctic cooling freezer(not cooler freezer) in the market.i dont know where the hell to find it in Bangalore(I'm a delhiite).And if you dont find it then ask the seller to suggest some good HSF(heatsink+fan) for your CPU(proccy).

a b à CPUs
June 16, 2009 4:33:52 PM

Summarizing all..........
1.GFX card : ATI Radeon HD 4670 512mb DDR3.

2.PSU : a) Corsair CX400
OR
b) Cooler Master RS-500-PCAR Extreme Power 500W

3.RAM : (2X2) GB Transcend or Kingston 800//MHz

4.HEATSINK AND FAN FOR PROCESSOR: a).Arctic Cooling Freezer 7
b)Ask seller to suggest one under 1k
c)Ask for intel original HSF for Pentium D ( (believe me original ones are crappy)

I think this will be enough.
All The Best for your new build...............

June 17, 2009 8:32:29 PM

why the cabinet fan you asked,
Cuz the one which I have makes some sound and its already broken a little but still working as I fixed it with some adhesive.

About the CPU fan, Arctic Cooling only, they dont have india mentioned in their website, anyway, I'll try, pls tell me which one I've to choose If I dont get Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.....

I know that CPU and Processor as one and the same atleast... :) 

One more, you mentioned to take RAM 800 MHz, but it says my standard is 667....
So, Can I put 800 too even though my standard is 667?

Last question,

4.HEATSINK AND FAN FOR PROCESSOR: a).Arctic Cooling Freezer 7
b)Ask seller to suggest one under 1k
c)Ask for intel original HSF for Pentium D ( (believe me original ones are crappy)

This is what you've mentioned, what is that " under 1k "

This is my last post probably, I dont wanna get you in trouble asking some dumb questions all the time........

I really really THANK YOU a BUNCH....for all this !!

You are really great at this and keep up the good work, Thanks again !!
June 17, 2009 8:58:08 PM

I'VE POSTED THIS SAME THREAD IN HOME BUILD SYS, A GUY WROTE LIKE THIS SAYING THAT MY MOBO DOESNT SUPPORT MORE THAN 667, SO 800 ALSO WORKS???

BELOW IS THE POST BY A 'GUY'........

We need PSU information, native monitor resolution, and preferable websites/stores you want to order from if any of us is to give valid advice.

Anyways... when looking at Intel's processor support sheet here

it looks like the best you can get is a C2D E6700. Unfortunately, this board doesn't support 45nm CPUs such as madass' suggestion for the Q8200, Q8400, or Q9400.

david7s wrote :

Pls help me.....so that I'd be not able to look forward for the next coming technology processors or updates.....

Considering your budget, it would be very hard to squeeze in a newer motherboard that would be able to accept upcoming processors. Your best bet at this point is to update the video card, memory, PSU (if needed), and the processor if budget allows.

+1 to madass' suggestion for the 4850/4770 and GTS 250. However, I highly doubt that they would run safely on a generic PSU, so more information is needed. Keep in mind that an ATI 4650 and 4670 (and some of the 9600GTs) will give solid performance on a 1440x900 or 1280x1024 resolution and do not require external power.

2Gb is a must, but if you can shoot for 4Gb of memory for cheap, I'd go for it. Remember that your board supports a maximum memory frequency of DDR2 667: anything above that and your board will underclock it to that frequency.
June 17, 2009 8:59:42 PM

I'VE POSTED THIS SAME THREAD IN HOME BUILD SYS, A GUY WROTE LIKE THIS SAYING THAT MY MOBO DOESNT SUPPORT MORE THAN 667, SO 800 ALSO WORKS???

BELOW IS THE POST BY A 'GUY'........

We need PSU information, native monitor resolution, and preferable websites/stores you want to order from if any of us is to give valid advice.

Anyways... when looking at Intel's processor support sheet here

it looks like the best you can get is a C2D E6700. Unfortunately, this board doesn't support 45nm CPUs such as madass' suggestion for the Q8200, Q8400, or Q9400.

david7s wrote :

Pls help me.....so that I'd be able to look forward for the next coming technology processors or updates.....

Considering your budget, it would be very hard to squeeze in a newer motherboard that would be able to accept upcoming processors. Your best bet at this point is to update the video card, memory, PSU (if needed), and the processor if budget allows.

+1 to madass' suggestion for the 4850/4770 and GTS 250. However, I highly doubt that they would run safely on a generic PSU, so more information is needed. Keep in mind that an ATI 4650 and 4670 (and some of the 9600GTs) will give solid performance on a 1440x900 or 1280x1024 resolution and do not require external power.

2Gb is a must, but if you can shoot for 4Gb of memory for cheap, I'd go for it. Remember that your board supports a maximum memory frequency of DDR2 667: anything above that and your board will underclock it to that frequency.
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2009 4:50:28 PM

I am going to answer all the ques one by one(i am copy-pasting pieces from ur post as ques) :

Ques:Why the cabinet fan you asked,
Cuz the one which I have makes some sound and its already broken a little but still working as I fixed it with some adhesive.

Ans: There are cheap sleeve-bearing case fans available in market(for as low as Rs50) which do the job perfectly.Dont waste money on coolermaster LED fan.I have 2 such cheap fans(80mm) and they are 6 year old each.

Ques:About the CPU fan, Arctic Cooling only, they dont have india mentioned in their website, anyway, I'll try, pls tell me which one I've to choose If I dont get Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.....

Ans:No not only Arctic ...you can go for any brand.But AC cooling Freezer is available in markets.

Ques:o ne more, you mentioned to take RAM 800 MHz, but it says my standard is 667....
So, Can I put 800 too even though my standard is 667?

Ans:Yes you can.....
I am myself running 800Mhz ram in a 667Mhz slot.nothing will happen just the ram will lower its speed to 667 Mhz

Ques:This is what you've mentioned, what is that " under 1k "

Ans:I want you to spend no more than 1K/RS 1000 on HSF.No more than thet will be profitable unless you have got a proccy that is not outdated.

Ques:This is my last post probably, I dont wanna get you in trouble asking some dumb questions all the time........

Ans:heyyyyy Its not only who u have learnt .......Even i have learnt something from this thread.You can post as much as you want.
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2009 4:57:29 PM

(comments on this post):

Ques:We need PSU information, native monitor resolution, and preferable websites/stores you want to order from if any of us is to give valid advice.

Ans:I have already asked you about the PSU,Resolution(1280X1024 as u hav told).

Ques:It looks like the best you can get is a C2D E6700. Unfortunately, this board doesn't support 45nm CPUs such as madass' suggestion for the Q8200, Q8400, or Q9400.

Ans:I didn't advised you to buy a processor As the best processor supported by Ur mobo is not that great to invest right now.

Ques:Considering your budget, it would be very hard to squeeze in a newer motherboard that would be able to accept upcoming processors. Your best bet at this point is to update the video card, memory, PSU (if needed), and the processor if budget allows.

Ans:See.other ppl also agree with me.......

Ques:+1 to madass' suggestion for the 4850/4770 and GTS 250.

Ans:These are great cards.But your processor will be not enough to run these on their 100% performance.
(A chain is as strong as its weakest link similarly a pc is as good as its weakest part,processor in ur case).

June 20, 2009 8:00:39 PM

The only question I've posted the above post is that the RAM 800 also works for me........

Thanks for the reply, I do got a better answer from you.........
So, nothng happens when we put 800 Mhz RAM

Second, I still wonder wht my Geforce Nvidia 7300 Le, the card which I used to have it burned.....and nothing happened to any of my parts.......

Only the CARD was burned out.........

Now, I've to make sure, the card which I'm gonna buy has to given atleast some satisfaction instead of burning out....cuz I cant invest again this much money for updating.........I mean again and again.......so I'm looking for a permanent solutioin.....

Thats it, as far by now......I'm ready to go with your suggestions.

Thanks alot again.....

a b à CPUs
June 21, 2009 6:01:03 PM

Ur suggestions are welcomed joe.
But what u are saying is not the best option.
There is no point of buying a new dual core as dual cores will be obsolete very soon.and E2200 is not even a 45nm.
And the guy who started the thread is a beginner(hardware wise) and he might not be able to overclock(just a possibility).
The 4830 is a good card i agree but the hardwares are not so cheap in our country.Even newegg doesnt ships here.HD 4670 is largely available and hence cheap option.
I know his pc will recognise 3.2Gb ram due to 32.bit os but what else can you do to have 2+ GB ram?
even if you buy 2gb chip and a 1 gb chip then it would not be a dual channel memory.So no advantage of that.

And one more thing.......This guy has a generic PSU.so he also has to get a new psu.

If there's anything else u wanna suggest then you are most welcomed joe.

June 21, 2009 7:22:37 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH JOE,

your suggestions are most welcome, cuz you've lead this thread into a different way..........but anyway SUBHAM made some conclusions........

Wating for your further posts JOE.............

Really, you guys are training me alot...........I owe you !!!

a b à CPUs
June 22, 2009 5:40:21 PM

David its all upto you which gfx card you want .
I searched the net and the price for HD 4830 512 mb ddr3 is Rs7000
and for HD 4670 12mb ddr3 is Rs4500.
See the benchmarks for these cards on net and make ur decision on ur own.
June 23, 2009 9:20:56 AM

Yes, I agree..........

I've seen the benchmark results and also came to know abt the prices of these hardwares in the market now.

4670 is almost competing with 4830 except in a few cases.

Now, I wonder what JOE would suggest...........

a b à CPUs
June 23, 2009 9:38:09 AM

Even the 9600 GT is a good choice......
June 24, 2009 3:18:26 PM

Dont tell me like that............

HD 4670 or 9600GT ?

tell me which is your first preference

a b à CPUs
June 25, 2009 3:08:09 PM

I am just giving you the options.
Compare the prices and benchmarks then decide on your own
And you may also add HD 4770 to ur research list.

BTW when are you going to buy all the stuff?
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2009 3:21:55 PM

That power supply wouldn't be having more than 16 amps on 12 v rail.
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2009 3:07:24 PM

Lets consider he has bought the E2200 and you have advised to overclock it to 3 Ghz but have U seen that the board is an" intel".
IT WONT OVERCLOCK.
June 27, 2009 11:11:43 PM

I'll buy whenever you guys could come to a conclusion ........

Well,

I'm using Windows XP 34 bit and recently changed to XP 64 bit........

I do have vista.............both 32 and 64......so shall I load Vista?

my PSU is 400 W

LCD Monitor, 1280x1024 Resolution ( LG Brand )

I'm a big fan of games like GTA- San Andreas, Call of Duty etc......

what else I've to tell you.........?

Yess.........I've seen that 4670 Video Card output has different pin it seems, I've a doubt whether it will fit to my monitor........

Every Video Cards pins are similar........right?

waiting for your reply......

June 27, 2009 11:23:07 PM

Flight simulator and Rail Simulator too........I'm also a fan of these SIM games......

So, pls keep this in mind and suggest me..........

As always a MILLION MILLION thanks to you guys.........

( Kinda upset with MJ's death.........I just love his music !! )
June 27, 2009 11:26:00 PM

also, I've enquired abt the Corsair VX450...........I can afford it, if your finally tell me whether I've to change my PSU or not.......

By the way, what are these RAILS you're talking abt? I know abt the Amps.....which is the Current !!

Rails = Slots?
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2009 5:44:09 AM

ME too me too..........MJ was gr8888888
June 28, 2009 10:00:36 PM

simple p45,x38,48,ddr3 (gigabyte, asus)

E7x00+ retail

your choice of VC HD 4890 1Gb or GTX 275

on the psu get a $5 voltmeter thats what they are for.
November 17, 2009 11:32:24 AM

Thank you everyone !

I've purchased,

96400 GT
2 Transcend 2 GB Jet Ram

No new PSU, they said my PSU will support.

Thank you all a bunch, Good Bye !!

!