GA-EX58-UD4P SATA

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • SATA
  • Hard Drives
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 22, 2009 9:15:32 PM

Let me preface this by saying I haven't set up a new system in about 8 yrs. Now that I finally upgraded, here are the specs...
---GA-EX58-UD4P with an i7-920, 6GB RAM, 1600MHz.
--- I already installed Win 7-64bit on my primary, WD Velociraptor, 150GB SATA HDD and have a second partition.
--- I have a secondary, 1TB, WD Caviar Black SATA HDD also partitioned into two drives.

System works great, except that I didn't realize I had to enable the SATA controllers. I believe they're still showing up as IDE and Windows 7 is showing them as ATA, not SATA. Thought the m/b would auto-detect, but I didn't read through the manual completely until I noticed it. I know... serves me right.

When I try to enable the controllers now, the OS can't boot and I get an audible alarm from the m/b.

After reading through the manual, it appears I skipped a few steps, and I'm not sure how to rectify this.

1) What is AHCI? I don't want RAID. Do I enable AHCI or keep it at IDE? 2) Do I have to reinstall/reimage Win7 after I enable my SATA controllers?
2) After I enable the controllers, should I install the Gigabyte SATA-RAID driver or the Intel SATA2-RAID driver, or none of the above? I noticed both were showing up on the Gigabyte site.

I think this is what I need to do... if anybody can correct my misgivings below, that would be great...

a) download the correct SATA driver,
b)create a boot disk with it,
c)boot to the SATA driver boot disk and install the SATA driver, THEN
d)Reboot to BIOS Setup and
e)In BIOS/Integrated Peripherals, enable the SATA/RAID controller to AHCI and change Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to AHCI or do I leave these at IDE?
f)re-image the hard drive with Win7.

Any help would be great, guys. Thanks!

More about : ex58 ud4p sata

a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 11:32:11 AM

Was looking for un-answered questions and came across this one, hope I can help since sounds like we're both new to SATA and the newer methods on M/Bs.

Seems to me you could put the SATA driver on your 2nd drive and force Windows to install it from there while it's still running IDE mode.

This article at Wiki seems very helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_I...
a c 177 V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 3:37:30 PM

Quote:
1) What is AHCI? I don't want RAID. Do I enable AHCI or keep it at IDE? 2) Do I have to reinstall/reimage Win7 after I enable my SATA controllers?

Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is fairly esoteric; the two major things it 'turns on' are NCQ (Native Command Queueing) and 'hot plugging' of SATA drives. NCQ is 'under discussion' for me; my simple testing, with a Seagate 1.5Tb, has shown no visible difference with AHCI enabled or disabled; however, I have been told that I probably need a different 'mix' of file accesses to see any difference. This is compounded by the fact that I've read "it improves lots of little accesses very quickly spaced" (which would seem to make sense to me), AND, "it only works with very large transfers"... ??? I have left it on, as I figure it can't be any worse! The hot-plug aspect simply means you can add a SATA disk to, say, an eSATA channel, and not have to reboot for your system to 'see' it... You can read background about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_I...
and here (the actual Intel spec):
http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/pdf/rev1_0.pd...
You will not likely see a subjective difference; for it to work (the reason you're getting an error if you enable either RAID or AHCI in the BIOS) either the drivers must be installed at system install (the easy way), or must be patched in:
http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardware/112584-how-enabl...
the hard way!
Related resources
September 2, 2009 4:39:06 PM

Thanks, everybody for the info. After doing a lot of reading on the web about SATA and AHCI, I learned a lot and understand quite a bit, but still have a question or two to follow up. I found a post on the Windows 7 forum at Microsoft, here..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

In the link above, Microsoft said to edit the registry before making any changes to the Bios. So, I did. I then enabled AHCI at all three points in the BIOS. Booted like a charm, and my drives were found under the AHCI boot sequence in the BIOS.

However, the device manager in Win 7 was still reporting my drives as ATA, and my IDE controllers were still showing as channels 1-10 or 1-8. So while I edited the registry to look for the SATA channel for the drive in the OS, it was still accessing them as IDE. Weird, right?

So I went to the Intel site and downloaded the Matrix Storage Manager, which includes the ICH10r drivers, here...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?Pro...

Once I installed this in Windows 7, rebooted, everything is showing correctly in my device manager with only 2 IDE channels and the SATA host controller. My drives were no longer showing as ATA, either. Intel's Matrix Storage Manager also reports the drives correctly as SATA.

One more question... under the Win7 performance rating, my read/write-speed of my primary drive is only showing a rating of 5.9 on their scale, no change from when it was reporting as an IDE device. I know it's dumb, but it's a little bothersome that Win7 is still showing that for my 10,000 RPM SATA Velociraptor. I did refresh the test and it still came back the same. I figured it's a little glitch and is not enough to get me to re-install since everything else is in the high 7s on their scale. But just curious if anybody else has similar reporting.
a c 177 V Motherboard
September 2, 2009 5:04:01 PM

Quote:
One more question... under the Win7 performance rating, my read/write-speed of my primary drive is only showing a rating of 5.9 on their scale

Frankly, I don't know what the hell they're looking at! I get a 6.2 (my lowest reading) on disk, and I have two pair of VelociRaptors in RAID0s, for system and swap - get reads of, roughly, 200M/S on each...
September 2, 2009 5:11:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, Bill. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one, and I agree... no clue what the hell they're looking at.
!