Sign in with
Your question

[Help Please] Unmountable Boot Volume Issue + Other Problems

Last response: in Windows XP
August 13, 2011 9:20:10 AM

Hello, I would appreciate any help you could offer me on my tech issues concerning my desktop computer.

I have a Dell System DV501
Bios Version: A04

Anyway, getting the BSOD is not new for me. Many, many, many times in the past, I have been able to fix it with with the powers of Google and random clacking of keys.

However this time, whenever I try and boot from my Windows XP CD, it doesn't work. A green light blinks for a while, the CD spins around for a while and ultimately, I end up with a "Selected boot device not available." The CDs do work. I have tested them on another laptop.

When I think back, Earlier I tried to watch something on a CD, that CD didn't work either (back from when this computer was still functioning properly).

I have tried to create a bootable USB drive via "WinToFlash" but that has not worked out well either.

So I am just wondering, do any of you have any tips or ideas that I can try out?

Thank you for any help you can offer me and I know that this question is REALLY ridiculously long but I wanted to give you as much info and content possible. :]
Anonymous
August 13, 2011 11:19:26 AM

Replace the CD drive, boot from the Windows XP CD and run chkdsk until there are no errors.
m
l
August 13, 2011 9:27:02 PM

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. I kind of figured that I would have to end up replacing the CDROM drive... but I was hoping that I could fix this problem on my own but alright. Thanks again. :]
m
l
!