Removal of thermal paste

migs008

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I decided to just clean out the thermal paste just to get things right this time around.

So I wanna do this perfectly.

What's the best way to remove thermal paste that's only been on for 5 days?

And note: Which would be better for cleaning it? Things like Isopropanol, Ethanol, Methanol or Acetone?

I can probably get any of these HPLC grade and a 200 proof ethanol if need be.

I also have kimwipes so no need for coffee filters if I even need them.

migs008

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Just looked up isopropyl alcohol.

At most its 90-100% alcohol and 0-10% water.

Is this really alright for it to have water?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Who would waste booze on cleaning off TIM, that's blasphemy. :lol:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Use the acetone and let us know how it goes. It's fine on the metal, but I don't know how the phenolic will respond. Not that you should be pouring any of these on the mobo.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Heptane and acetone both need to be used in a well ventilated area. Not many people have a vent hood in their house...

Isopropyl 70% or greater will do the job, then follow up with a quick swipe of acetone or dry lacquer thinner. This will get rid of the water, for those among us that are patience-challenged.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I like to use the 91% isopropyl verses the 70% variety, it's easy to come by and inexpensive.

For older hardened TIM removal of the few year old variety, I like to use brake parts cleaner. I prefer Brakleen, it's made of tetrachloroethlene. It'll dissolve all the old hardened stuff, and leaves NO residue. Caution tho, some other companies products seem to have water or another chemical that doesn't seem to evaporate that quickly when you use it.

With either cleaner, just use a Q-tip to apply.

Been using these for years with no problems at all.

migs008

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
OK based on everyone's response here iv'e got an item list now.

1. Acetone HPLC grade
2. 2-Propanol
3. Q-tips (exactly how many though? 6 or 7?)
4. Kimwipes
5. Rootbeer

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Don't use Qtips they shed and they are a lot of work, use coffee filters.

You are definitely putting way too much planning into this. Use some alcohol and wipe it clean and give it a couple of minutes to dry. DONE

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Not for years. I think it's been banned for that use for a while. I have a can that I got at least a few years ago and it has methanol, toluene, acetone, heptane and xylene.

That's a serious poison cocktail, I better start wearing gloves. :lol:

I still have a can of contact cleaner that is 111-trichloroethane.

migs008

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

Yeah. Mostly because I didn't do enough planning in the first place which is why my heatsink is on backwards right now.

Kimwipes are better than coffee filters though.

I have been wondering about why people would use q-tips since I thought "Doesn't that shed?" Thanks for that.

I also forgot the latex gloves.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

Still get my Brakleen at the local parts place, I did notice it says "Not for use in California" tho, you in Cali Zorg???

That contact cleaner used to be the best, if you could still get it. My bro in the AF used to get it for me. :wahoo:

As for shedding of my Q-tips.... Hmmm, maybe thats why I finish up with a blast of Brakleen at 2000 PSI..... :pt1cable: What fibers??? Um, what CPU ???... :lol:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Nope MD.

I see they have a 50 state formula, that must be what I have. I'll have to look for the other one. These chemicals are getting banned all over the place, but I guess not completely yet.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You can use a baggy over your finger. I like the single edge razorblade. A lot of people use the grain of rice in the middle, but you should check for IHS and HS base flatness first to ensure a good spread. Also with the exposed heatpipe HSs it doesn't spread properly, due to the gaps between the heatpipes and the base.

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
A computer shop that used to be close to where I live about 8 or 9yrs ago told me to use un-du sticker and decal remover works pretty good not sure what it is made of though so I use alcohol after just to make sure theres no oil residue on the chip before putting the TIM back on.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That's what I use, it's Heptane a.k.a. rubber cement thinner or Bestine. It is available from any graphic arts supply store.

It also does a really good job of removing rubber cement based stickers, being that's what it is designed to do. ;)

I used it on a notebook years ago to remove those annoying stickers that were shredding when I tried to remove them. They came right off and did absolutely no damage to the plastic.

Results may vary, always test in an inconspicuous spot. I will not be held liable for damaged cause by... blah, blah, blah.

migs008

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I just got the stuff today and will probably apply it on saturday since i'm really busy with work.

So i'll try going with acetone and 2-isopropanol. Maybe use the kimwipes and reapply it with parafilm.

I just thought of the parafilm since its so elastic and so smooth then I thought it might work pretty good.

And got some lens cleaner pads that are pre-moist in isopropyl just in case too.

TRENDING THREADS