Sign in with
Your question

Memory problem Asus P6T

Last response: in Motherboards
August 23, 2009 3:19:31 AM

Hi guys i am new here and i am building a new computer so i need your help about some issues:

i just already bought an intel core i7 920 Processor also i bought an asus P6T motherboard.

Yesterday when i received from mail my memory ram i bought 2 double modules DDR3 OCZ Gold edition 1600Mhz Latency 8-8-8 24 with 1.9 volts making a total of 2x2x2x2= 8gb of ram.

I think i made a mistake buying this memories because today i was checking from some other forums, an over volted memory ram can break or burn my intel processor so the processor can only resist 1.65volts is that true?? can i put the memory onto my motherboard?? please i really need help here because i dont want to burn with computer . :??:  :??:  :??:  :??:  :??: 

1) i need your best recomendation :p 
2) Can I use the memories that i received?? :( 
3) Does it will break my computer?? :ouch: 
August 23, 2009 3:29:08 AM

I have yet to hear real results on this. From what intel is saying, long term use over 1.65V will cause damage. See if you can return the ram and pick up some triple channel 1.65V sticks.

Personally, I would not want to risk it.
m
l
August 23, 2009 3:34:57 AM

But can i modify in the Bios the volts from the memories, i mean to tell the motherboard send 1.65 volts to my memories sticks so i can prevent any damage, or it doesn't work like that?
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2009 3:48:54 AM

stabwisker said:
But can i modify in the Bios the volts from the memories, i mean to tell the motherboard send 1.65 volts to my memories sticks so i can prevent any damage, or it doesn't work like that?

You can do that, you will almost definitely have to decrease the speed from the ram's specs. Be sure to run memtest 86+ to ensure it is stable afterward.
m
l
August 23, 2009 4:04:10 AM

I understand so the perfomance of the ram's will be less than 1600Mhz i mean it will work like in 1400Mhz or less?? and my computer will be not at risk? right? Is there any news from somebody that have his pc burn from this problem?? So now you think this Processor will be good for overcloking?? Because i just saw some memory stick having 2133 mhz DDR3 from corsair working at 2.0 Volts what you think about this?
m
l
!