Sign in with
Your question

Insanely High CPU temp Intel d965

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 12, 2009 12:20:42 AM

Hello, this is the set up I run at the moment, and it is running so hot I had to go back to my E2200 chip. I am wondering if I need a new motherboard or just much, much better cooling.

Chip (problem chip)
Intel D965 3.73 Ghz

Motherboard
MSI p35 Neo2 (old I know, but with the newest BIOS off MSI's website)

Memory
4 Gigs OZ PC6400

GPU
Nividia 8800 GT

The temp of the CPU when first installed was a hot 86 degrees, but when I loaded up World of Warcraft to take the chip for a test run, the temp jumped to 127 degrees which triggered shutdown. I rechecked to make sure I had the CPU fan/heatsink installed correctly and they were running, which they were. I was using the same fan/heatsink that was running with the E2200. I also have a 80mm fan installed on the case to help with cooling, and it too was running normally. I'm wondering if the motherboard is too old to handle this chip, or if the cooling system really does suck that much.

If it needs a new motherboard, can anyone recommend a "nice" one for under 200 dollars (US)? I use the PC for Warcraft only, and the word processing blah blah blah that comes with any PC. If the problem is a bad cooling system can anyone recommend a "nice" set up for this rig?

And if it helps, I was running SpeedFan to get the readings, as my RealTemp didnt seem to want anything to do with the CPU.

Thank you all in advance for any insight you can provide :) 
July 12, 2009 8:52:57 PM

127F = 52.2C = cool to med warm for cpu, it should be rated at minm 60C or 72C.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9...
You should be able to get upto 80C possibly without issues, just become unstable / errors.

Rated at 68.8C temp, so it is not the temperature but possibly the power supply that can not deliver enough power or another temperature killing it.

Check in the bios for shutdown temperature and set to 65C/70C or 149F/158F .
8800gt temps at shutdown , how much power is it using when playing games ?

Room temperature ? 85F ? $5 at Walmart gets a digital temp reader = worth $5 to spend.

Do you have enough air circulating around the pc , removed dust in pc fans / parts with high pressure air in a can.

Alternatively:
Artic silver no5 gets 10C off the top or roughly 18F difference.

In Arizona you would need to replace your 80mm fans with 1 or 2 masscool 120mm fans pushing 50cfm at 1500rpm 25dba noise for $5 to $8 per fan and uses less power than 80mm fans and blows 8 times the air.

Maybe get a #18 to $30 Cpu copper heat sink with AS5 thermal paste.

Motherboard replacing depends what you need 1 or 2 16x video slots, either way look at newegg.com for compatible Gigabyte motherboards or MSI as GIG is 1st for quality control and 2nd MSI at this stage and a compatible model + reviews on newegg to find problems / good performance then price and search on the internet for specials for that motherboard model for best price and buy.

Have a look here, D965 EE supported mboards.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

Minm should be $55 GA-G41M-ES2L "F1 bios / default bios"

Also make sure there is enough and all power connectors connected to the motherboard and video card and is properly connected / no loose fitting connectors, can disconnect the power cable and use a pair of pliers to squeeze the connectors tighter for secure fit , use caution.

700W modular psu for $69 - 20 mail in rebate.
http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Best is check obvious things that is free then try cheap solutions and lastly replace parts like motherboard.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2009 11:12:40 PM

ReTardReTard said:
127F = 52.2C = cool to med warm for cpu, it should be rated at minm 60C or 72C.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9...
You should be able to get upto 80C possibly without issues, just become unstable / errors.

Rated at 68.8C temp, so it is not the temperature but possibly the power supply that can not deliver enough power or another temperature killing it.

Check in the bios for shutdown temperature and set to 65C/70C or 149F/158F .
8800gt temps at shutdown , how much power is it using when playing games ?

Room temperature ? 85F ? $5 at Walmart gets a digital temp reader = worth $5 to spend.

Do you have enough air circulating around the pc , removed dust in pc fans / parts with high pressure air in a can.

Alternatively:
Artic silver no5 gets 10C off the top or roughly 18F difference.

In Arizona you would need to replace your 80mm fans with 1 or 2 masscool 120mm fans pushing 50cfm at 1500rpm 25dba noise for $5 to $8 per fan and uses less power than 80mm fans and blows 8 times the air.

Maybe get a #18 to $30 Cpu copper heat sink with AS5 thermal paste.

Motherboard replacing depends what you need 1 or 2 16x video slots, either way look at newegg.com for compatible Gigabyte motherboards or MSI as GIG is 1st for quality control and 2nd MSI at this stage and a compatible model + reviews on newegg to find problems / good performance then price and search on the internet for specials for that motherboard model for best price and buy.

Have a look here, D965 EE supported mboards.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

Minm should be $55 GA-G41M-ES2L "F1 bios / default bios"

Also make sure there is enough and all power connectors connected to the motherboard and video card and is properly connected / no loose fitting connectors, can disconnect the power cable and use a pair of pliers to squeeze the connectors tighter for secure fit , use caution.

700W modular psu for $69 - 20 mail in rebate.
http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Best is check obvious things that is free then try cheap solutions and lastly replace parts like motherboard.

WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW big respect RetardRetard ; if we were all as if as your name suggests it then computering will be so fu..bloody easy ; I MEAN (as im french) WHAT A GREAT JOB dude ! has been a real good hot moment to read all that as i am still deeply in :love:  love :love:  with that processor that i could never afford... i still want it even though there is better nowdays for the same price (about 100-120 euros (£80-100) for the SL9AN about 80Euros (£70) (hey bloody euro -quid went so much down im guted) so where was i (oh yea gotta re-activate the blunt ) :o  ......................... :non:  well so MERCI i learned a lot again ! thank you for sahring , thats what life is all about , sharing anything with people.
Guess what as well... my config ... funny looking forward upgrade but still runs last ModernWarfare2 and all recents games with no problems and rarely minimum settings.
All the best from France ; JAH BLESS

DualCore Intel Pentium E2220, 2400 MHz (12 x 200)
ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA (4 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, LAN)
DIMM1: Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D
DIMM3: Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D
Radeon X1950XT Turbo Overdrive Edition AGP
DirectX 10.0
Alim Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER 850Watts
CPU Cooler ASUS Silent Square EVO
Hitachi HDP725050GLA380 ATA Device (500 Go, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
SAMSUNG HD160JJ ATA Device (160 Go, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
ST3320620A ATA Device (320 Go, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

ASUS DRW-1814BL ATA Device (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:18x/8x, DVD-RW:18x/6x, DVD-RAM:14x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)

TEST EVEREST
CPU CPU 2x Pentium E2220 Clock 2400 MHz Motherboard ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA Chipset PT880Ultra Memory Dual DDR2-670 CL-RCD-RP-RAS 5-5-5-15 CR2 Score 9942

Can get better but can t get much more without Oc innit ?

Langlais83 sur (e)mule KAD or GlobalServer all reggae vizit Selecteur Octa blogspot @ dj-Octa@blogspot
January 1, 2014 6:52:58 PM

Spydergo said:
Hello, this is the set up I run at the moment, and it is running so hot I had to go back to my E2200 chip. I am wondering if I need a new motherboard or just much, much better cooling.

Chip (problem chip)
Intel D965 3.73 Ghz

Motherboard
MSI p35 Neo2 (old I know, but with the newest BIOS off MSI's website)

Memory
4 Gigs OZ PC6400

GPU
Nividia 8800 GT

The temp of the CPU when first installed was a hot 86 degrees, but when I loaded up World of Warcraft to take the chip for a test run, the temp jumped to 127 degrees which triggered shutdown. I rechecked to make sure I had the CPU fan/heatsink installed correctly and they were running, which they were. I was using the same fan/heatsink that was running with the E2200. I also have a 80mm fan installed on the case to help with cooling, and it too was running normally. I'm wondering if the motherboard is too old to handle this chip, or if the cooling system really does suck that much.

If it needs a new motherboard, can anyone recommend a "nice" one for under 200 dollars (US)? I use the PC for Warcraft only, and the word processing blah blah blah that comes with any PC. If the problem is a bad cooling system can anyone recommend a "nice" set up for this rig?

And if it helps, I was running SpeedFan to get the readings, as my RealTemp didnt seem to want anything to do with the CPU.

Thank you all in advance for any insight you can provide :) 

you need a fan thats will go to 200watt thats what i use i have one fan is about 39.00
January 1, 2014 6:56:40 PM

a freezer13 heatsink will do the job its a 200 watt fan i have a d965 cpu jim
!