Sign in with
Your question

How would i set up a system with two RAID arrays?

Last response: in Storage
September 28, 2010 8:46:20 PM

Hello,

I'm building a comp for my g/f and i want to set up a two RAID arrays for it. One would be two small ssd's in RAID 1 for the OS. The second would be RAID 5 for data/movies/music/etc. What would I need in order to do this? Would I be able to set one of the arrays from the mobo (should be a AMD 890GX or 890FX board) and then get a raid controller for the second array? If i need a separate raid controller, any recommendations for one? Sorry for all of the questions.

Thank you for your time

More about : set system raid arrays

October 6, 2010 5:32:15 AM

suitaroh said:
Hello,

I'm building a comp for my g/f and i want to set up a two RAID arrays for it. One would be two small ssd's in RAID 1 for the OS. The second would be RAID 5 for data/movies/music/etc. What would I need in order to do this? Would I be able to set one of the arrays from the mobo (should be a AMD 890GX or 890FX board) and then get a raid controller for the second array? If i need a separate raid controller, any recommendations for one? Sorry for all of the questions.

Thank you for your time

If your MB has onboard RAID, such as Marvell or ICH10R, and you have enough SATA connections then you should be able to just create the 2 arrays using the onboard RAID so you won't need an additional RAID controller. When you go into the RAID setup you tell it to create a RAID1 and select just the two drives for that array and finish the setup. After your first array is setup go back into the RAID setup and tell it to create a RAID5 array and then select the remaining drives for that array and finish setup.

That all being said, add-on RAID cards such as the HighPoint RocketRAID cards have advantages over onboard RAID such as better speed, hot-swappable drives, hot spare, and OCE (Online Capacity Expansion). However if the computer is just for your g/f then I doubt she's going to notice the difference or even care so save $100-$150 or more and just use the onboard RAID.
m
l
!