Venomous X Black Scuffs

Jrw363

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hey guys i have been using these forums for a while now and gotta say that everyone here is incredibly helpful. I did a search on the forums and didn't find the answer i was looking for. I have recently purchased a venomous x Black cooler. It came packaged like it was new but there wasn't a plastic seal. The bottom of the cooler has minor scuffing and has a few nicks. The bottom is still smooth to the touch i am just concerned that this will impact the cooling potential of this cooler, I am concerned because i am hoping to take my i7 950 to 4.0 with reasonable temperatures. Thanks for any feedback its much appreciated

Solution
I have a Thermalright cooler and it didn't come with a seal on the base plate.
They don't ship with a plastic shield.
Mine was perfectly flat though and did have some marks/scuffs.
My guess is it's from the milling process.
Wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol that's what i did.
I have a Thermalright cooler and it didn't come with a seal on the base plate.
They don't ship with a plastic shield.
Mine was perfectly flat though and did have some marks/scuffs.
My guess is it's from the milling process.
Wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol that's what i did.

Solution

Jrw363

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
thanks davcon so its normal then. its my first one i had no idea. just out of curiosity which cooler do you have? and thank you dirty i just dont have a camera that can pick up the finish properly to show

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
dont worry about the marks on the plate.......... just ensure you do a full thermal paste coat on the plate and not dot or line.......... just to ensure that the imperfections are covered by enuf paste........... dont overdo...... just an even thin coat.............

I have an MUX-120 and very successfully used the dot method of paste application.
Btw TR Chillfactor paste is very good it's on par with AS5.
Temp differences are in tenths of a degree between the two.
Applied IC Diamond which yielded a 2C difference from Chillfactor 2.

Jrw363

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
i have some ic diamond paste so ill probably use that because i have heard great things about it and your just confirmed that. should i have any issues running this cooler on a i7 950 at 4.0 i put two 140mm promilmatech red vortex fans on it

The IC Diamond is a pita to apply so have fun with that.At least i found it was but worth the end result.
I see where your're going with the fan selection = cool looking so you have a windowed case obviously.
I don't know anything about the Prolimatech Vortex fan other then it comes in red led or blue bladed.
My guess is they're probably decent fans for them to bother releasing them.
My preference 140mm fan is the TR-TY 140.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11677/fan-755/Thermalright_TR_TY-140_140mm_x_160mm_PWM_Fan_-_900R1300PM_Standard_120mm_Fan_Mount.html?tl=c365s1297b34
No led though.

Jrw363

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
those are the fans that come with the silver arrow, ive read that is truly an awesome air cooling setup. Ill see how this works if not i could always upgrade. Thanks everyone