Sign in with
Your question

What to do with my quad core

Last response: in CPUs
June 12, 2009 3:01:57 AM

after playing around for a few weeks, i havnt found much that pushes the envelope on my q9300 @ 3.4... even fsx is smooth as butter. (gta4 wont work on even the highest f***ing specs so dont bs with that lol) what can i do to push this cpu. i want to see what it can do. any programs/ quad core optimized games????

More about : quad core

a b à CPUs
June 12, 2009 5:54:33 AM

Well thats the truth about quad core CPUs. Most users don't really need it.

Best scenario for you is to get 3Dmark Vantage and/or 3Dmark06. Both benches will have you trying to eek out that last little performance boost from your CPU, GPU and memory, for a few more points.

Alternately you could Fold with 2 cores while you do daily stuff with the other 2.
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2009 8:01:03 AM

ryanb213 said:
after playing around for a few weeks, i havnt found much that pushes the envelope on my q9300 @ 3.4... even fsx is smooth as butter. (gta4 wont work on even the highest f***ing specs so dont bs with that lol) what can i do to push this cpu. i want to see what it can do. any programs/ quad core optimized games????

Use something like Nero to encode a shedload of DVD's?
Related resources
June 24, 2009 8:02:01 PM

FSX, Crysis.
June 24, 2009 9:07:55 PM

ryanb213 said:

:pfff: 

"The Core 2 Quad Q9300 is not a native quad-core like AMD’s Phenom processor,
but rather is two dual-cores connected under a single heat spreader - a multi-chip module."

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=154367

a b à CPUs
June 24, 2009 9:12:09 PM

what in the hell does that have to do with anything?
June 24, 2009 9:18:36 PM

Hmm, lets play a little game...

Question 1: Does it fit in one socket? Yes.

Question 2: Does it have 4 physical cores? Yes.

Guess what tool? ITS A QUAD CORE!
June 24, 2009 9:28:12 PM

ryanb213 said:

Try some video enconding. Downlioad a ridicolous high quality movie (60GB for 1h 30 min) and encoded in something with lower quality. It should use 4 cores. :bounce: 

PL
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2009 9:30:35 PM

I just read his link; It is a good review of the 9300. lmao
a c 83 à CPUs
June 25, 2009 6:26:52 PM

Rendering in 3ds max is the only thing I have that will max my Phenom, otherwise I've never hit 100% cpu usage. I also find todays processors far more powerful than what I need, I keep mine downclocked unless I'm playing a game or rendering.
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2009 11:59:45 PM

B-Unit said:
Hmm, lets play a little game...

Question 1: Does it fit in one socket? Yes.

Question 2: Does it have 4 physical cores? Yes.

Guess what tool? ITS A QUAD CORE!

Isn't the upcoming AMD "Magny Cours" MCM? If so, then Enny needs to find a new nitpick - his current "doublecheeseburger" one is getting stale :D .
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2009 1:21:53 AM

lol
!