Last response: in CPUs
June 12, 2009 3:02:12 AM

Specs:
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wifi
Phenom II X4 940 BE
Evga 8800 GTS 320Mb
Seagate 320gb 7200 rpm
Edit***** Win XP 32bit *****

I updated my bios to ver 2205 and installed the 940 last week.

I noticed a video and audio stutter since then. All video and audio stutters. Video in Firefox, IE, Chrome, iTunes, VLC, Media player. Songs alone also stutter.

I updated the bios to ver 2207 yesterday with no affect.

Today I have noticed that if I move the mouse while a video is playing the stuttering stops all together. During a virus scan the video stutters less frequently and during an installation of a java update the video played seemlessly.

Any possible help to this perplexing problem is much appreciated

June 12, 2009 3:17:07 AM

wattra said:

Any possible help to this perplexing problem is much appreciated

Which version of Vista are you using? (Vista 32 or Vista 64?)

If you say XP... then all bets are off. (If you use XP then I will assume you have loaded the AMD CPU drivers that don't come with XP? These synchronize timing between cores which could show up as the mouse issue you mention.)

NOTE: You will also definitely want to disable Cool N Quiet in the bios. It probably already disables it since it is a completely different version, but if not then manually disable it.
June 12, 2009 4:14:06 AM

Oh sorry forgot to mention OS.

Ya i run xp.

I did not realize there were separate drivers for the cpu.

I will try to find them
Related resources
June 12, 2009 7:31:36 PM

I have this exact same rig, just put the 940 in yesterday to replace the aging 5600. BIOS 2205 is crap, roll back to 2101 (I believe it is). M2N32-deluxe seems to have been a VERY good purchase considering the mileage i'm getting out of it; I have the 940 BE overclocked to 3.4 no problem with some nice mushkin 1066 RAM. I really am quite amazed at the quality of this board!

Some issues: One, your processor will show as unknown in bios. two, I've read that you must set your RAM to ganged mode in BIOS (some stability issues I read on another forum). Three, My temps are running warmer than usual on stock HSF, 47idle 52 orthos load@3.4Ghz--this is with absolutely no change from stock settings which confuses the hell out of me. I wonder if the board sensors work right, as my 5600 always ran hot as well. Finally, it is true that we don't technically have support for this CPU.

Hope this helps!
June 13, 2009 3:48:45 AM

alright i will try rolling back to 2101

Thanks
June 13, 2009 5:20:22 AM

I also forgot to mention, every time I boot up I have to hit the reset button after powering on in order to POST. everything works flawlessly aside from this strange happening--I've read other places that this is not unique to my rig but is something others have to deal with as well. Beats spending an additional $200 though. Let me know how your BIOS rollback goes and if you also have this odd bootup procedure, because it definately had me scared on my first boot.
June 16, 2009 2:21:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. The rollback works perfectly.
I do not experience the strange boot/post situation, mine starts no problem.
June 24, 2009 1:46:21 AM

Yo
The 940 /M2N32 SLI Deluxe combo is very finicky about memory. I am running OCZ Gold 2x2GB
This combo does NOT like 800mhz BIOS setting. If you overclock it, you need to set BIOS to 667mhz to alleviate
system hangs on boot.
On BIOS 2207
This has sigificantly sped up my system. It much more stable on the 940
On BIOS 2205
Don't go there. It will lock you out and not boot if you set your memory to 800mhz.
You then have to reset and downflash to 2101 to boot again
Right now with 2207 and 667mhz bios setting, the this is running like a dream
I have run this setup for 96 hours notstop with out any issues. Very, very stable
good luck
rockstar
January 22, 2010 4:51:13 AM

Great info there, I am considering purchasing this CPU one ebay (used) - you think its good deal? if so up to what price?

Should I stick with stock HSF? or save on that shipping cost, and only get the cpu? and buy another cooling solution locally in my country?

I have 4gb=1x4 sticks of gold OCZ, 800mhz one..

Ok my questions now - it seems you have it for like half a year now - does it still work flawlessly without bugs? even though you loose some performance by downgrading ram to 667 mhz? Or perhaps you were able to keep it on 800 somehow? or am I to understand, that 800mhz works except the need to do a reset when booting the system?
!