I have an urgent question here. I've ordered the following Alienware computer:

Quote:
[1] Area-51 X-58

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme 3.33 GHz 8MB Cache
Cooling: Alienware CPU Liquid Cooling
Power Supply: Alienware® 750W
G-Card: 1792MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295
Memory: 3GB DDR3 SDRAM mit 1333MHz - 3 x 1024MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Intel X-58 Chipset Motherboard - Socket 1366 Core i7-compatible, Triple Channel DDR3-Memory
OS: Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate 64-bit with Service Pack 1
Harddisk: 300 GB SATA 3 Gbit/s 10.000 U/Min VelociRaptor
Storage-HD: 1 TB 7.200 U/Min SATA

Since an additional 3 GB Rams from Alienware were way to expensive compared to the place I can get the memory, I've decided to go with just 3 GB of Alienware Memory (does anybody know what brand they put in their computers?) and buy a 6GB Ram setup from Kingston to replace the Alienware Memory.

Now I already bought the following Rams:
Quote:
Patriot DDR3 6GB,PC12800, 1600MHz,CL8,(Kit-of-3)
Triple Chanel,for Intel i7, Low Latency line (8-8-8-24)

I guess I was a bit fast or stupid to buy the rams before posting my concerns here. Nevertheless, I'm still able to return the rams if you advice me differently.
My main problem is, that I do now know anything more about the Alienware memory than it is written above. No timings, no brand, nothing. Since I always had Kingstons, I would like to put them in again.

So what do you advice me now? Did I buy the right rams, are they the best deal for the money if I want a performance increase?

I hope somebody can help me out. Thanks in advance

More about : advice alienware memory kingston

a b } Memory
August 23, 2009 2:09:58 PM

well, my guess is you could have gotten this computer for cheaper than what you paid by ordering the parts and putting it together yourself

but the ram you chose should be ok
August 23, 2009 3:50:21 PM

thank you for the response.

I know Alienware is overpriced, etc. I have always built my computers myself in the last years, but with nearly every computer I ran into troubles at the beginning and after a while as well. No I just wanted to give it a try to go with Alienware and the guarantee they offer. It's probably the first and last time, but that's not the discussion here :) 

Are there any other feedbacks concerning the rams I've bought?
Related resources
August 23, 2009 4:08:01 PM

Alienware uses a generic value ram unless you spend the extra to order name brand. IF you can return the 3gb for a credit, I would use this to replace it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Ram prices are really high right now, but should drop again to the $100 level for those kits before to long. If you can't wait its still cheaper than what alienware would charge for the extra 3gb.
August 23, 2009 4:37:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification with the Alienware Rams. Unfortunately I can't get other Rams than Patriot Kingstons right now, since I already bought them and I could just return them for other Kingstons if I'd need.

The 3 Gigs in the Alienware PC I will probably sell or keep it for spare.

Here are the Rams I've got:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodl...

In the shop were I bought them there are also 2000 MHz Rams for sale, but they cost about 100$ more. I don't think it's worth it and the 6GB 1600MHz ones should do the job just fine.
!