DEAD CPU OR MOBO? :'(

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hey Guys

New one to the forums

right let me tell you my story, i got the M3A32 MVP Deluxe, got it out the box rigged it all up, working fine, then i had to do a fresh install of windows becasuse it kept blue screening "virus protection" error. also i had to hit the reset button a few times for the mobo to post.

Once i installed windows fired it up working great! then im just getting myself sorted out so i install the lastest drivers for my ATI 4870 i also install the drivers for the mobo that came on the disk.

after a reboot, dead completely dead nothing.... everything powers on like fan but just a blank screen and monitor reads "no signal" and the rest button does not work anymore also

THINGS IVE TRIED:

Taking it to bits, taking out various parts like the GPU,RAM, CPU, HDD, DVD Drive in a process of elimation...... epic fail still doing the same thing

Swapped the GPU for another one to rule that out but same thing, just blank....

ive tried taking the battery out and putting it back in order to rest the BIOS but still nothing.

Ive tried resetting the CMOS and taking the mobo and setting up outside the case, still nothing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There appears to be no physical damage to the mobo, everything seems to be where its ment to be, after all, all i did was reboot.

please could you help me out ive been really excited to get my 9950 Black edition (125w) fired up and running crysis, but this is a major set back.

Now my question is isit my mobo or my CPU that is faulty? the CPU was brand new when installed and the motherboard was a 2nd hand purchase, is there any tell tale signs that your CPU is dead? eg freezing, burning smells.

Everything was working fine till the reboot, what could of died? :S

if you need anymore information just ask, i will be sitting on the F5 key, so ill respond ASAP

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Just a Quick note

When i went into the bios the CPU was reading about 43 degrees, is that hot for this CPU also if its not could it be just a faulty mobo?

i really dont want to RMA my CPU lol

Regards

Sean

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I reckon you've been sold a crappy or faulty mobo. Seems that way to me, anyway. All evidence points that way for me. I would NEVER get a secondhand computer component, there are always heaps of small things that could be plaguing it that you just weren't told. But it seems in this case, they are blatantly obvious. I feel sorry for you, man... :(

anzacfalcon

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
it could be faulty or sometimes ram can be faulty aswell, try diffrent ram lol hehe, and reset bios and see lol. cheers

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Ive tried all the ram swapping known to man lol, im trying the to get a refund on the board as we speak, but if it all goes belly up its still under warrenty. just need to know of a way to get it RMA because i dont have a clue lol ill see how the refund issue goes before i attemp RMA

so do you guys recon i could rule out that it could be my CPU?

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Ive tried all the ram swapping known to man lol, im trying the to get a refund on the board as we speak, but if it all goes belly up its still under warrenty. just need to know of a way to get it RMA because i dont have a clue lol ill see how the refund issue goes before i attemp RMA

so do you guys recon i could rule out that it could be my CPU?

Regards

Sean

leifomoser

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Before you go galavanting across the net looking for a replacement Mobo/RMA, consider your PSU! A faulty PSU can create exactly this problem as it happened to me earlier this year on an older system with what I thought was a decent PSU. Fans all lit up, no POST no video etc.

What PSU do you have? Is it new? Did it come with the case? What's the wattage and 12v amperage?

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
yeah check the PSU... I had the same problem... but eventually i found out that my mobo was on the death row.. the PSU helped for some weeks but the mobo died.. soon.. i hate those deluxe named mobos...

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

well funny you should say that, i am running a Alpha Power 1050watt PSU with 35amps on the +12v rail, the psu is quite new purchased in april 2009, i am using the same psu in the system i am using now so i dont think it is faulty.

Then again i have no way of checking lol it has enough power, i am also running a ATI Radeon 4870 with this PSU.

when booting up with this mobo 3 LEDs light come the code is "D1601+D1602+D1604) those are the 3 lights that light it when the mobo is fired up, before you ask the card is not faulty i am using it now and no lights are present.

what does this possibly mean?

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
hey guys jus an update i jus took a look at the box of my psu stated above and the box says it support intel core duo and athon x2 64 it supports CPUs using upto 2.2V now the phenom uses around about 1.4v so i dont think i have an issue here and it booted before hand and was running nicely but then again the top of my case where the psu fan blows out was quite hot but then again it is quite warm now.

if the psu was faulty wouldnt that mean it wouldnt work in the rig im using now?

Regards

Sean

leifomoser

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
These things are always a tedious process of elimination that can be a huge pain without spare parts sitting around, but it sounds like you can at least rule out the PSU being the culprit. If you know anyone with compatible parts you could try putting the CPU in their mobo. Not sure what else you can do to be certain enough to buy replacements.

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
yeah i think my PSU is quite good and is not faulty, i believe its the mobo tbh, i dont really know anyone that runs amd :( all intel lol so i might just try calling some computer shops and see if they can try it out. some bloke wanted £10 to test it i was like WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT no way lol so ill ring round and ask if they will test for free after all its no biggy really im supplying the parts after all lol

right guys a little of topic but, on my case i have a connector that has 2 pins but the end of it has like a little bit where it slots into something, abit like the CPU fan has that plastic thing so that u dont get the fan headers mixed up same concept here only, i dont know where to put it lol, the wires are black and red so im guessing its a system speaker?

so yeah if anyone could shed any light on this i would be very greatful.

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
i really dont think it is my CPU tho dude, i didnt smell nothing and it was just a reboot, also everytime i fired the mobo up i had to rest it coz it never posted 1st time, i really cant see how it could be my CPU, heatsink was on right everything was gravy BIOS told CPU was running at 43 degrees. so dont see how it could fry :S

enlighten me on this matter please.

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Rubbish or not it does the job and i dont think it is the problem here. as it booted and was working fine until a reboot.

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hey Guys for anyone who has the same problem as me and needs answer like i did then here it is:

I want down to Test the mother board today and guess what ITS DEAD! that right DEAD. so my suggestion to anyone that has this issue is to go down to your local computer shop and get it tested.

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Right guys just a quick question, but could the CPU be dead also?

is there a possiablity?

how could this board just die like that?

what could of caused it?

im getting a new mobo next week so ill keep this post active on my progress.

Regards

Sean