Adding SSD to comp that already has RAID0

Tags:
  • SSD
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 29, 2010 3:08:11 AM

Hey
I want to add a SSD as a boot/application drive to my computer which already has a RAID0 setup. Can I do a fresh install of Win7 on the SSD and maintain the data on my RAID setup to use as storage or do I have to completely reinstall the RAID drives as well?

Basically, can I switch my RAID drive from drive C: to drive D: without loosing my data?

Thanks

More about : adding ssd comp raid0

September 30, 2010 6:51:49 PM

JAMBergie said:
Hey
I want to add a SSD as a boot/application drive to my computer which already has a RAID0 setup. Can I do a fresh install of Win7 on the SSD and maintain the data on my RAID setup to use as storage or do I have to completely reinstall the RAID drives as well?

Basically, can I switch my RAID drive from drive C: to drive D: without loosing my data?

Thanks

As far as I am aware in order to remove your OS from your Raid partition you would have to wipe the drives, I would backup all of your documents and files that you want to keep on to removable media (such as dvds, cds, or usb drives), wipe the raid partition of data, and then reformat it once your SSD is installed and the OS is loaded on it.

When you install your SSD, make sure it is port 1 because windows assigns the first drive it comes across as C, so in order to avoid directory path headaches, you want your SSD to be C drive. You also need to make sure you have updated to the latest version of IRST (intel rapid storage technology). In version 9.6 they finally allow the TRIM command to pass to your SSD even when your SATA ports are configured to RAID. (Although if the SSD is part of a raid partition the TRIM command will still not pass through).

If this sounds like too much work for you, you could use image software to create an image of your current computer and copy that image to your SSD providing the total size of your current setup will be equal or less than the space available on your SDD, but that probably isn't the case.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
m
l
October 1, 2010 4:41:17 PM

I've done this exactly, wasn't so bad.

First thing is install the SSD on the first SATA port. Unplug your HDD Sata cables. Keep it in RAID setting tho, as you'll need that when you plug the HDDs back in.

Go on and install Windows, you can get it all set up. Download the Intel RST 9.6 drivers, as you'll need that for TRIM support with it set to RAID.

After that you can plug your HDDs back in. Obviously it's tough to transfer data since you actually have to reinstall it, and probably don't keep install files. You can try running Windows off the HDDs again, and run a back up (or, you know, do it before installing the SSD) and restore the backup on the SSD. If you don't mind a fresh install then don't worry about that.

What you should do if you want to erase all the uneeded data on the HDDs is create a partition on them. Transfer all the files you want to keep (movies, pics, games etc) onto the new partition. Then delete the original partition(s). Then create a new partition (expanding the current "new" partition won't work - the front of the RAID space will be the end of the partition) and transfer the files back to the newest partition. Then delete the 2nd partition and expand your current partition to the full disk space.
BTW you change partitions in Windows. Forgot the exact menu to find but you can quickly google it.

It's a bit of a pain in the butt (took me a few hours to transfer everything back and forth) but it works fine.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 1, 2010 11:22:43 PM

Right now I have one my HDD in the sata one location. Can I change the SATA port I plug the HDDs into and maintain the RAID recognition?
m
l
October 2, 2010 3:57:13 PM

Yep! No problem there.
m
l