• Motherboards
  • Intel i5
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2010 4:48:21 AM

Hi guys......... need help in choosing a new board after i screwed my present board's cpu pins.......... I had a GA-P55-USB3 board with i5-760 and patriot Extreme Performance Gaming Series DDR3 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Enhanced Latency DIMM Kit........

First of all i know that the memory was not meant for my previous board....... didn't realize it when I got em, the board defaulted them to 1066Mhz and when i tried to increase the clock speed to XMP profile the board started giving warning rings........... so i was forced to run with lower clock speed..............

Now I need a LGA 1156 board which supports this particular memory (remember I have it in dual memory set up), preferably ASUS or GIGABYTE as they are available easily through the local vendor............ let me know any other thing i might be missing.............

More about : suitable motherboard 760 patriot 1600 memory

a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2010 5:12:29 AM

If you have two sticks of DDR3, 1600, 1.65V memory . . . you couldn't get them to run beyond 1066 . . . why? They should run OK based on the spec.

Did you try setting the memory speed and timings manually? Did you try setting them manually to 1333? Did you try .01 more voltage?

The speed difference in applications isn't worth buying a new motherboard.. And frankly, the worst case solution would be to buy new, compatible memory at a lower cost than a new mobo.
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2010 8:05:45 AM

@twoboxer - according to the boards spec in gigabyte website, info on memory is copied below

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
Support for non-ECC memory modules
Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

It was after i bought them i realized that the board doesn't support 1600 Mhz, when i tried to "switch on" the XMP profile in the board bios, it straight went to 1600 Mhz and started giving warning sounds........ i didnt try setting manually to 1333........ wish i had............

but anyway......... as i said i screwed the board's cpu pins when i installed a new cpu cooler.......... (removed the cpu for cleaning and applying TIM).......... i dont want to explain it .......... it only makes me frown and sigh more...........

i just have to go for a new board and wanted someone to suggest gigabyte or asus 1156 boards which support 1600 Mhz XMP profile memory (or supports my patriot mems) ............
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2010 9:16:25 PM

The board supports 2200, so it will support 1600 (slower) but you need to set the parms manually.

OK, somehow I ignored the fact that you broke the board - my bad lol. Your bad lol. We both learn :)  To answer your question specifically, this Asus board claims support for 1600 and XMP:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It does not have USB/SATA 3.0.

This Gigabyte board does:

The third alternative is to re-buy your original board, carefully :)  install stuff, and manually enter the memory parameters.

a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2010 10:31:39 AM

dunno why the gigabyte board is expensive.......... its almost double my previous board........... i dont see much change except a phat heatsink covering pci side capacitors (which may hinder my heatsink installation)......... pretty bad reviews on the Asus though......... my previous board is a good buy but i dont want to go there again because of the RAM compatibility problems i faced before........

hmmmm........ will have to go to the vendor and see what they have........... might end up with something like these

a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 2:52:33 AM

Your call - you have the facts now.
!