Sign in with
Your question

9800 GTX fan speed set to 40% default?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2009 2:15:15 AM

I bought a BFG Tech 9800 GTX from Newegg and checked to make sure everything was running smoothly in GPU-Z. I am getting temperatures of ~62 C and noticed that the fan was only running at 40%. I went into RivaTuner to adjust it and I cannot adjust the fan settings for Standard 2D or Low Power 3D, only Performance 3D. I cannot believe BFG would set the fan's settings to 40%, especially with an overclocked edition. Is there any way to override this or another program that can adjust the fan setting?
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2009 3:01:43 AM

I have the same problem. I made automatic fan controllers that shouldn't fall under 50%, but once in a while the default drivers kick in and set it to 40%.

I went to the rivatuner forums and they said the rivatuner program has issues with the G92 GPUs
April 4, 2009 3:08:20 AM

ntune you can just make a profile it's pretty easy
Just make some profiles that list after x temp rev up fan speed to x%
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2009 3:13:27 AM

ntune fan controllers doesn't work for me at all.
April 4, 2009 3:24:56 AM

Sorry but I'm not familiar with automatic fan controllers. Is there any way you could go into a little bit more depth about that because I simply cannot find a solution. 60 C is pretty high for idling speeds. Plus, I would imagine temps like that are contributing to my processor temps.
April 4, 2009 3:32:56 AM

Veesofnaught said:
Sorry but I'm not familiar with automatic fan controllers. Is there any way you could go into a little bit more depth about that because I simply cannot find a solution. 60 C is pretty high for idling speeds. Plus, I would imagine temps like that are contributing to my processor temps.

EVGA precision worked pretty well for me. Here's a link.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/EVGA-Precision-1.3.3-download-2112.html

Keep in mind that the on-screen monitor (if enabled) sometimes has issues with games using punkbuster.
Also, don't forget to hit the "apply at windows startup" button.

Hope this helped.
April 4, 2009 7:43:24 AM

g3force said:
EVGA precision worked pretty well for me. Here's a link.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/EVGA-Precision-1.3.3-download-2112.html

Keep in mind that the on-screen monitor (if enabled) sometimes has issues with games using punkbuster.
Also, don't forget to hit the "apply at windows startup" button.

Hope this helped.

This worked great and is EXTREMELY easy to setup and use. Thanks a lot! :D 
April 5, 2009 11:16:31 PM

Veesofnaught said:
This worked great and is EXTREMELY easy to setup and use. Thanks a lot! :D 

No problem. I'm glad it worked out well :) 
May 5, 2009 3:48:30 AM

Wow, it worked for me too, even though im running a BFG 9800 GT 1gb. Both N-tune and rivatuner did not workfor me, and didnt expect this to either, but it sure did... thanks!
May 12, 2009 1:07:17 PM

- Today I resolved such problem (I had all fans switching on at 40 C!!!)
- I easily reset the temperature to 20 C - fans now running all times.
- Couldn't reset fan speed though (due to motherboard specification) - But set the speed on Automatic Adjustment Mode - so now the CPU jumps occasionally ranging 3 - 5 % - but that's then how it should be. I used (freeware) SpeedFan.
-VERY Important - I also set screen brightness to 30% (from 100) via EnergySaving Plan.
ASUS (Notebook)
!