Slow startups and shutdowns with internet explorer

kozlo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I needed a new modum from verizon (DSL) for my dell 4600. The old one had gone bad as verified by a verizon tech. Once installed everything was fine. Then after 1 week , i had problems in getting internet explorer to come online. It takes 12 minutes for this to happen. after i log in to verizon yahoo, then i get a message form mcaffee that my firewall is off and my real time virus scan is off. I turn them on and proceed to call verizon tech support. They check the download/upload speeds using speedtest.net. Everything is fine. They tell me the browser is too slow. I upgrade to internet explorer 8 (windows xp) and things appear to be faster when online. Then i shut down the computer and tried to get online again. It takes another 12 minutes ans after loggin in my security warning again. What is going on? What do i have to do stepwise to get back to a quickstartup and shutdown? Shutdown takes about 7 minutes before everything is off. I did run the mcaffee virus scan and other than 13 cookies being deleted, everything else was fine. Please help!....paul k (email : pk454@verizon.net)

DigiFixIt

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I would recommend using an alternative browser like Google Chrome or Firefox. Try running Internet Explorer in safe mode without any addons incase something is causing issues. Start / Run / iexplore -extoff

Have you checked your system log? Start / Run / eventvwr
Check the system & application logs for an errors that may be slowing your system down.

Check your startup items to see whats running on your machine. Start / Run / msconfig & click on the startup tab.

Is your antivirus software up to date & have you done a complete system scan?

kozlo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

I did check the events log and found lots of red error messages which had an explanation thatthe device has a bad block of memory, which windows attempted to read. The data might be missing or corrupted. Replace the hard drive... I will be replacing the harddrive with a new one...thanks