Sign in with
Your question

How to get network security key from computer

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 2, 2009 9:11:59 PM

My new computer recognice my wireless network but is asking me for a security network key. This computer is replacing my old one. How do I find it
December 4, 2009 6:26:43 PM

It's in your router. You have to go inside your router and you will probably have to reset it if you forgot it. You'll have to enter the routers IP address into your browser and adjust the password or click open...check the settings under the security tab in the router config
m
l
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 4, 2009 6:29:21 PM

Alternatively, start up your old computer and it's wireless network settings and see what the password is (assuming it's in plain text).
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2009 1:25:29 PM

Hi
Both of them work. However I was anxious to get on line so I used a wired connection directly from the router and the dsl modem. Both worked of course. I just purchased a HP touchsmart 600-1050 so I needed to get online right away. When I disconnected the wired system I tried again (wireless) and it "WORKED". So am still baffled.
m
l
December 29, 2009 1:36:05 PM

maryhopkins27 said:
It's in your router. You have to go inside your router and you will probably have to reset it if you forgot it. You'll have to enter the routers IP address into your browser and adjust the password or click open...check the settings under the security tab in the router config

where is the router
m
l
December 29, 2009 5:54:57 PM

Assuming this computer is already connected to the router. And you want to retrieve the key from it.

Download a program called Cain&Abel. Now I can't walk you through it but I know its there. I think you have to go to like sniffer or something. I dont have it installed anymore sorry. But yeah I know that can retrieve passwords that were currently used on that computer
m
l
!