Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I like it, maybe AMD can get some real income by selling some cherry-picked CPUs for a premium. Right now, they're hitting overclocks (extreme overclocks, not everyday ones) higher than i7, so all those overclockers with enough money to burn to hit a new record can go crazy.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Cherry-picked 955s, eh ? A 30% price -premium to have 50% as fast FLOATS as an i920. If you catch the B&M sales going around i920 kit is even cheaper !!

AMD can't have sails cause they haven't mast(ered) the chips hehe :sol: he. WooHoo AMD socks-it-to the fansbois again.

Let me put it this way. I know AMD needs all the help it can get. As an enthusiast, I see the need for a stronger AMD.
Also, as an enthusiast, Id like to see enthusiasm grow for PC computing/gaming/ocing etc. Given the fact that maybe AMD is extending beyond most peoples realms with this cpu doesnt mean it isnt justified, actually quite the opposite from where Im coming from.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I think they could price it somewhere between the Intel 920 and 950. It isnt like it would be a ripoff if it is a good oc'er. Their quads are too cheap. It is good for consumers and good for gaining marketshare but it cant be closing the gap on operating in the black very fast.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

says the intel fan boy that would buy a Q9 series chip that probably won't overclock near this (ps the 955 is capable of higher over clocks than the i7 there is an article here on tom's about that)

If priced right, and the perf is truly that much different, using the better cooling solutions, it should easily beat out the Q series in perf, because of clocks, that is of course, you dont have a golden Q series cpu, which can happen as well, but then again, youre extremely lucky if you do, same for the 955s, if 1 of those got past the TWKR check point

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
the product deserves a premium price if it is as extreme as advertised and there is that niche crowd that will buy them. they dont care about Intel/AMD, they just want to be fastest.