Sign in with
Your question

S-Video to S-Video OR DVI to Component adapter

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2009 8:08:16 AM

I have a PNY GeForece 8400 GS, which has a D-Sub (VGA), DVI, and S-Video Out. I would like to connect a Vista Media PC to watch DVD's on my TV (Mitsubishi HD1080 55"). I was wondering if I gain any quality if I use a DVI to component adapter, to connect to the TV? Or should I just stick with S-Video to S-Video. I understand S-Video is the lowest quality, aside from VGA (Composite).

Thanks.
April 4, 2009 8:26:37 AM

Component. S video doesn't support any HDTV resolutions while Component does also component separates it by Luma chroma1 chroma2, S video is only Luma and Chroma with a much smaller bandwidth thus no HD resolutions.

You may thinking of S video when you just mean a Mini-DIN connector S video only uses 4 pins while the Mini-DIN can have as much as 9 connections? Usually graphics cards will have a Mini-Din to component which is what i guess you mean... I've never heard of dvi to component.

Composite < S video < Component
April 4, 2009 9:18:12 AM

The PNY Geforce 8400 GS (model VCG84512SPEB) card I have is only a 4 pin connection (S-Video). If you click on the link and check out the photos, you can see it is a 4 pin connection). It was the only card that was available for my computers PSU (300watt). I may consider on upgrading the PSU to accomodate a EVGA GeForce 8400 GS (Model 512-P1-N724-LR), which a 350watt PSU is recommended, but that may not be for awhile. The EVGA 8400 GS has a 9 pin.

I have read that S-Video was of the lower qualities for video, but I wasn't aware it wasn't compatible with HD. I was looking into the the DVI to HDTV (Component) adapter (Sapphire DVI to HDTV). Hopefully the local TigerDirect has something similar in stock, since I don't really want to wait for delivery.

Thanks again :) 
Related resources
April 4, 2009 2:59:31 PM

I would suggest a DVI to HDMI adapter.
April 4, 2009 4:05:19 PM

Unfortunately, the TV does not have HDMI. Only Component, Composite, & S-Video. The video card only has S-Video (4 pin), VGA, and DVI.

If I cannot find the adapter DVI to Component adapter locally, I am considering of upgrading the PSU to 400w and going with the EVGA Geforce 8400, which requires 350w PSU. The EVGA card does have an HDTV out (9 pin).
!