Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why cant i overclock cpu any further?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 23, 2010 5:58:21 PM

i have my 945 running stable at 3.75 ghz now but cant figure out why i cannot increase it anymore.. my temps dont go over 40c at full load. im running liquid cooling with 7 fans. as soon as i try to increase the front side bus anymore it wont even load windows.. it just crashes.. is it because of voltages of anything? ram timming? its bang on at 1333mhz. north bridge speed? i just cant figure it out.. i really want to brake 4ghz.. i know my comp can stay cool enough no problem.. is it maybe because its not a black edition and i cant get the multiplier past 15x and im putting to much buss speed in?

like i said i just wanna brake 4ghz.. wont leave it there.. ill resume playing on 3.75. i really just injoy learning and experimenting


any comments are welcome...


More about : overclock cpu

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2010 4:33:44 PM

Have you tried increasing vcore yet ?

If your memory is manually set to specs, bump the voltage one or two notches. (may need more as you start oc'ing them)

I personally would raise my nb multiple to x9, maybe x10 and see if that helps. (may need to bump cpu_nb voltage)

Make sure all of your important data is backed up if your going to press on !

Nice oc as is, well done !

m
0
l
Related resources
October 25, 2010 12:31:59 AM

green300 said:
Have you tried increasing vcore yet ?

If your memory is manually set to specs, bump the voltage one or two notches. (may need more as you start oc'ing them)

I personally would raise my nb multiple to x9, maybe x10 and see if that helps. (may need to bump cpu_nb voltage)

Make sure all of your important data is backed up if your going to press on !

Nice oc as is, well done !



all my memory is set to auto. im running cheap corsiar pc1066 ram. it doesnt like being over clocked lol. so ive read anyways.. im still reading up on how to properly over clock ram. i got the bassics down of the cpu now.

isnt it bad to raise the nb frequency high? i heard over 2000 mhz it doesnt give any performance increase really and just increases heat and wear.. but thats what i read.. its different everywhere u go lol..

i raised the cpu voltage to 1.42 i believe... and all the other voltages by one or two notches because i havent found much info on how to work those voltages properly.. i also left the dram voltage on auto..

i want to see how far i can take this and learn a lot.. im going to get either a 1075 or 1090t black edition in the next couple of weeks so im not to scared to over clock this cpu... i really want to try and hit the 4ghz level.. but its hard with having the cpu multiplier locked at 15.. and this is a 95 wat cpu.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2010 1:34:32 AM

Quote:
all my memory is set to auto.

You always want to manually set timings and voltage to specs to start with. Are yours suppose to be 9-9-9-24 ?

Quote:
isnt it bad to raise the nb frequency high? i heard over 2000 mhz it doesnt give any performance increase really and just increases heat and wear..

AMD's rule of thumb is nb freq. needs to be at least three times the memory clock. (667x3=2001) At 1333 you technically don't need it higher, but as you over clock your memory higher you may. Higher nb freq. will net you better performance (benchmarks). NB freq. too high can cause instability. HT speed you want to keep between 1800 and 2200, not much gain has been found in going much over 22 or 2300.

Quote:
i raised the cpu voltage to 1.42

I have no idea if that is enough ;) 

Quote:
i want to see how far i can take this and learn a lot.. im going to get either a 1075 or 1090t black edition in the next couple of weeks so im not to scared to over clock this cpu... i really want to try and hit the 4ghz level.. but its hard with having the cpu multiplier locked at 15.. and this is a 95 wat cpu.

The BE option sounds like fun..


m
0
l
October 25, 2010 1:48:36 AM

green300 said:
Quote:
all my memory is set to auto.

You always want to manually set timings and voltage to specs to start with. Are yours suppose to be 9-9-9-24 ?

Quote:
isnt it bad to raise the nb frequency high? i heard over 2000 mhz it doesnt give any performance increase really and just increases heat and wear..

AMD's rule of thumb is nb freq. needs to be at least three times the memory clock. (667x3=2001) At 1333 you technically don't need it higher, but as you over clock your memory higher you may. Higher nb freq. will net you better performance (benchmarks). NB freq. too high can cause instability. HT speed you want to keep between 1800 and 2200, not much gain has been found in going much over 22 or 2300.

Quote:
i raised the cpu voltage to 1.42

I have no idea if that is enough ;) 

Quote:
i want to see how far i can take this and learn a lot.. im going to get either a 1075 or 1090t black edition in the next couple of weeks so im not to scared to over clock this cpu... i really want to try and hit the 4ghz level.. but its hard with having the cpu multiplier locked at 15.. and this is a 95 wat cpu.

The BE option sounds like fun..



Hey thank you for the informative reply.. i did not know the amd rule of thumb. i guess i just randomly got it close some how haha lol.. my memory is cheap 90 dollar ddr3 corsiar pc 1066 i believe the timmings are supposed to be 9-9-9-9-24.. does it make a difference if i actually set the timmings to that in the bios? or will seting it to auto do this.. i know with higher quality ram you have to set the timings and the frequency but i figured sences its slow ram it would already be set to the right specs lol.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2010 2:05:04 AM

Quote:
does it make a difference if i actually set the timmings to that in the bios?

Yes, your screen shot shows your timings at 8-8-8-20. Try setting them to 9-9-9-24 @1.53v, then try bumping your fsb.

Source on the rule of thumb
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 4:03:02 AM

green300 said:
Quote:
does it make a difference if i actually set the timmings to that in the bios?

Yes, your screen shot shows your timings at 8-8-8-20. Try setting them to 9-9-9-24 @1.53v, then try bumping your fsb.

Source on the rule of thumb




ok.. i watched a video online on how to over clock ram and the guy said that running lower timings like 6-6-6-6-16 or something (dont remember the exact timinings) makes your ram faster.. he said its kind of like time.. the lower the number the faster the time.. is that true? or is it the higher the number the faster?
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 4:13:17 AM

lower timings is faster

but if your upping your RAMS voltage you will need to lower the timings (i.e. increase them from say 8-9) to become stable

also RAM bottlenecks CPU overclocks....your 1333mhz ram can bottlekneck your CPU....
m
0
l
October 25, 2010 1:21:43 PM

jasonp12 said:
lower timings is faster

but if your upping your RAMS voltage you will need to lower the timings (i.e. increase them from say 8-9) to become stable

also RAM bottlenecks CPU overclocks....your 1333mhz ram can bottlekneck your CPU....



ahhhh ok.. now were im getting somewhere lol..

sooo.. just wondering now.. how does ram work to increase fps in a game... when i play metro 2033 my computer says its using 40% of its ram.. i have 4 gigs.. so obviously going to 8 gigs is not going to do anything... until im using 100% of my ram.. so im guessing if i got 1600,1800,2000 mhz ram (4 gigz) i would still be using 40% of my ram when playing that game.. but it would comunicate faster and increase fps? does that sound right lol..
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2010 2:06:45 PM

lindseyhunt1090 said:
ahhhh ok.. now were im getting somewhere lol..

sooo.. just wondering now.. how does ram work to increase fps in a game... when i play metro 2033 my computer says its using 40% of its ram.. i have 4 gigs.. so obviously going to 8 gigs is not going to do anything... until im using 100% of my ram.. so im guessing if i got 1600,1800,2000 mhz ram (4 gigz) i would still be using 40% of my ram when playing that game.. but it would comunicate faster and increase fps? does that sound right lol..

That's pretty much it, BUT..AMD likes tighter timings over higher frequencies. Intel likes higher frequencies over tighter timings. In an AMD system cl7 1333 can out perform cl9 1600. As you over clock that cl7 1333 you may need to loosen timings to 8's or 9's, and that would start limiting performance. Some good 1600 would allow you to push further with tighter timings increasing performance then. Back to the rule of thumb, if your going to run 1600,1800 or 2000 you'll need to raise nb freq. to accommodate.

Tried pushing further with memory set to specs ? 'least try 8-8-8-21 ;) 
m
0
l
October 31, 2010 6:01:30 PM

you need to either loosen your timings to 9-9-9-27 or lower your ram divider by 1 notch and keep the timings at 8-8-8-20. either one of those should allow you to start raising you fsb again. also as you increase your cpu you also need to increase your cpu/nb spped to keep it from bottlenecking. i think at 3.7-4.0ghz you should have a cpu/nb of about 2600-2800 to get the best performance and stability.
m
0
l
!