X-Fi to Z-5500's using digital i/o module

InfiniteRetro

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
hey guys. im wanting to use my z-5500's digitially either coax or optical from my X-Fi sound blaster fatality soundcard. now i know you can change the line in/mic to be digitial i/o. i also found this adapter which inputs and outputs either optical or coax. i cant find a single review or article on it on the net but im wondering if this will allow me to have all speakers being in use when i play games. i'll post the link to the module below.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780

Connect all 6 leads to your rig, and use the coax hookup too. Switch it using the control panel of the 5500s, so while gaming youll want 6 channel direct, and while listening to music, you can go coax

InfiniteRetro

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
ah ah heck. damn. i thought u might say that. see i can put the pc video onto my gaming lcd tv, and i wanted to transfer the sound also onto the 5500's so when i game using my wireless keyboard/mouse i'll get the proper sound.

bit of a long shot but, could i feed the 3 input cables into say a stereo splitter, and then run from that one to the soundcard, one to my onboard sound and switch doing it that way?

Doesnt the x-fi have both to begin with? The x-fi should have a coax and the six leads on it. Not sure if you can do what youre saying, havnt tried it myself. Youd have to disable one or the other each time tho, Im fairly certain.

InfiniteRetro

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
i basically have the 3 plugs for analog and a line in/mic in multijack which can then be in turn a digital in/out.

ok so during these postings ive installed the mb onboard audio drivers. seems to be no conflict. yep id definately have to switch via the pc BUT at least im certain to obtain true 5.1 for that wee bit of effort. say, 2 clicks lol

InfiniteRetro

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
just thought id post an update. if i run stereo splitters it reduces the volume because the speakers are plugged into two sources. is there a way around this?