ruquikrz28

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Hello,

Problem: No boot, no video, no beeps.

I was running Winamp Pro with visualizations on for a few hours last night, fell asleep. Woke up and shut down computer. Next day, no post.

Have power to 2 Hard drives and 2 DVD drives, all cooling fans running. Case lights all working

No Video, no keyboard lights, no (USB) mouse lights. My flash drive light's up in all USB ports, so power is there.

Running XP pro upgrade 2, 3 killed my XP pro once, had to re-install Windows completely, no I have not upgraded to 3.

AMD FX-60 CPU in a Socket 939 ASUS SLI MB (don't ask me why I didn't go with AM-2)

4 GIGs Ram, rotated, pulled, no help.

Replaced 500 watt PSU with 650 SLI ready today, same exact problem.

I had 2 -XFX Nvidia 7950GT video cards running in it and had pulled 1 out to loan a friend who built one from a bare bones and was waiting for a back ordered PCI-e card. After I pulled it, I played Left 4 Dead for a couple hours with only the single video card, then started my WINAMP play list to watch and fall asleep to.

Did WINAMP fry my CPU?

Mike.

ruquikrz28

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

Hello,

I faced the reality that it was either the ASUS 939 MB or the AMD ATHLON FX-60 CPU, can't find a socket 939 CPU cheap to swap. COMP USA wanted $50 to tell me which one it was...

Broke down and bought socket 775 SLI MB, Intel CPU 7400 dual core, 4 GIGS DDR3, 1.5 Terabyte Seagate drive, and a USB to IDE cable kit to transfer data from the older 80 gig drive that would'nt have a IDE port on the new MB for.

I used the new 650 watt Power supply I had bought to rule out the PS. I also used the Nvidia XFX 7950 GT-OC 512 PCI-e video card from the old system.

You know my XP-Pro IDE drive booted the first time I hit the power button? Went right to my log in screen. I thought Windows would not do that with a MB, CPU, and RAM upgrade. Needless to say, I was grateful for not having to ENTER, ENTER the setup in XP to repair my original installation. Just had to deal with a few "found new hardware" issues and authorize my iTunes for my wife and my account.

The new system does not seem any faster, but I know I have the newest inexpensive equipment running. When windows 7 gets out for retail, I will buy it and take advantage of all the RAM. When I get my twin video card back this week I will see what the speed is then.

I have a ASUS AN8xxxx SLI with 4 gigs of RAM and the AMD FX-60 CPU with awesome cooler sitting in a box with all the other parts I have accumilated since my original 80286 with 1 MG of RAM. It sits beside my MAC Plus with a 20 mg ext HD.