Question about i7950, Corsair Memory, & XMP Profile on Gigabyte UD5

fox1966

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Hi everyone,

For the first time, I built myself a computer from scratch, handpicking all the components. Just got it together night before last, using these components:

i7 950 with stock heat sink/fan
Gigabyte UD5 motherboard (with bios F7)
6 GB Corsair Dominator rated for triple channel
EVGA Geforce 285
Antec 1200 case (using all fans on high)
Samsung DVD Burner
Creative Labs X-FI card with I/O Module

I was monitoring the temps with RealTemp yesterday, and my idle temps for CPU was around 41 to 42 celsius. This was running the ram at 1066, (I chose to load optimized bios settings initially).

I read up on XMP profiles, and since this ram is technically 1600 mhz ram, I decided to enable the XMP profile in the bios. Worked like a champ, no problems...however, now my core cpu temps idle around 44 to 45 celsius.

I let RealTemp run while I played a pretty intensive game (Prototype). Looked like my cpu temps while playing that game were in the low 70 celsius range.

My question is this...I understand this processor gets hotter than most, but do these temps sound ok? Also, is it SAFE to use the XMP profile, and is that what I SHOULD be doing? Or should I just leave it at optimized, which uses 1066 MHZ memory speed, instead of the 1600. Like I said, the system seems rock solid stable with everything I have done so far, I just want to be SURE that I have it set up the best way, and don't want to overheat my processor. I'm not an "overclocker," and just need some advice from you guys that know more about this stuff than I do.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
XMP is technically OCing your memory controller. This typically requires a small bump in the memory controller voltage for 1600. We have tested extensively and see no issues thus far. However, as with any OCing venture, you have to decide for yourself if you are willing to increase voltages, exceed warranties, etc.

fox1966

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for the reply, Yellowbeard. I'm still confused, though....I thought that this memory was SUPPOSED to run at 1600, and running it at 1066 was, essentially, "underclocking" it. But if I am to understand you correctly, running this memory at 1600 is considered overclocking, and can potentially void warranties of the components involved?? Is 1066 the "standard" for this memory, and what it should normally run it? The packaging certainly makes it sound like 1600 is what it "should" be set to run at.

Sorry for the questions, but I really want to understand, and get the most out of my new system by making it sure it is operating as it is intended to. When my memory is at defaults and runs at 1066, my cpu temps when idle are around 39 to 41. When my memory is at XMP profile and runs at 1600, my cpu temps when idle are around 44 to 45 celsius...

I'm just a little lost as to what the settings should be....help would be VERY much appreciated!

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Running memory at 1600 is not OCing the memory so there is no issue with the Corsair warranty.

Look at your Intel 950 specifications. The fastest memory frequency guaranteed by Intel to run is 1333. Running 1600 is OCing.

As far as the warranty, Intel does allow XMP which is OCing their memory controller. You'll need to check wth Intel on the terms of their warranty.