Satellite line of sight.

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 21, 2004 12:44:56 PM

I live in an older subdivision with a lot of trees and don't know if I'm a
good candidate for satellite. What usually happens if you sign up and they
decide your not? Would I be charged a service call? Thanks in advance.
Patrick.

More about : satellite line sight

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:45:19 PM

Patrick Casher <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> I live in an older subdivision with a lot of trees and don't know if
> I'm a good candidate for satellite. What usually happens if you sign
> up and they decide your not? Would I be charged a service call?
> Thanks in advance.

Simple solution: get a cheap little Boy Scout compass, look at one of
the online satellite-finder pages or download the little application,
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/installatio...
and then check yourself to see if there's anywhere on your property that
can see the satellites. You don't need a fancy-pants compass to get a
rough idea of where the dish will need to point.

My neighborhood is wooded enough that you can barely see the streets
in aerial photographs. I wound up putting the dish at the end of the
second-story roof peak on the south end of the house, because that's
the only place it could go and not be pointed at a tree.

--
Huey
Anonymous

Patrick Casher wrote:

> I live in an older subdivision with a lot of trees and don't know if I'm a
> good candidate for satellite. What usually happens if you sign up and they
> decide your not? Would I be charged a service call? Thanks in advance.

You don't "sign up" until somebody has given you an estimate and
everything is hooked up and running.
As far a service charge, that depends on the installer.
I know that I charged 20 bucks (or more) if I had to travel twenty
miles or more, and/or also had to set up ladders and stuff to see if
I would even be able to get a line of sight.
However, I would "give it back" if we installed the system after I
surveyed the sight.
Then, (heh!) 7 times outa ten, I would get it back (sometimes more!)
in the form of a tip.
Related resources
October 22, 2004 4:30:31 AM

"> Unfortunately, there are homes, and sections of some townships,
> where sat/dishes just can't be installed!
>
> NJ, for instance, has townships/home owner organiztions, that have
> ordinances that prohibit ANY size Dish from "being visable", as one
> looks at said home from the front!

What local officials and Homeowner's Associations don't tell you is that
ordinances and covenances are automatically superseded by State and Federal
Law when a conflict arises. They don't bother to update them as they'd have
to pay the lawyers to change them and once that process begins the
homeowners themselves can totally re-write them at will. Most homeowners
associations provide that once the covenances are opened for change, a super
majority (60%) can vote to repeal them entirely.

In the past two years my homeowner's association has attempted to prohibit
satellite dishes, and to prohibit replacing cedar shake roofs with anything
but cedar shake shingles. Enter Federal Law, and the State Fire Marshall,
with a threat of a law suit against the homeowners association. They haven't
changed the covenances, but under interpretation of the law you're allowed
to mount up to a 36" dish in the contiguous 48 States (8' in Alaska), and
you can chose any roof you desire as long as it meets building codes.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 7:55:00 PM

Sir not appearing in this film wrote:

> > And yes, it was the DEMOCRATS that made and passed those stupid laws
> > that prevented what people can watch on TV or safely place in their
> > own yard!
>
> What would you poor REPUBLICANS do if you lost your ability to brainwash the
> masses with FOX?! ;-)~

I'm a rich republican, and I never watched FOX news, so I really
don't know what yer talking about. :o
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 2:36:54 AM

"AH# 49 writes:" <GRONK@BCComics.net> wrote in message
> Sir not appearing in this film wrote:
> >

> > > And yes, it was the DEMOCRATS that made and passed those stupid laws
> > > that prevented what people can watch on TV or safely place in their
> > > own yard!
> >
> > What would you poor REPUBLICANS do if you lost your ability to brainwash
the
> > masses with FOX?! ;-)~
>
> I'm a rich republican,

Isn't that redundant? o¿o
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 8:59:38 PM

I just got an oval dish, from a private sale and I've tried to
get local reception, with no luck. They appear on the guide,
but when we select one it says 'searching for signal', then
the screen goes blank and nothing happens.

Could this be caused by trees? We have it set up according to
the settings provided for our zip code. We get all the other
channels just fine.

Direct TV said they don't have to make any adjustment to our
account, since the channels are included in the package. They
said our receiver would recognize the new dish.

Also, if we moved 75 miles away, would we still be able to
receive the channels from our original city?

thanks
Liz

> You don't "sign up" until somebody has given you an estimate and
> everything is hooked up and running.
> As far a service charge, that depends on the installer.
> I know that I charged 20 bucks (or more) if I had to travel twenty
> miles or more, and/or also had to set up ladders and stuff to see if
> I would even be able to get a line of sight.
> However, I would "give it back" if we installed the system after I
> surveyed the sight.
> Then, (heh!) 7 times outa ten, I would get it back (sometimes more!)
> in the form of a tip.
October 25, 2004 10:08:11 AM

"Liz" <winter217@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just got an oval dish, from a private sale and I've tried to
> get local reception, with no luck. They appear on the guide,
> but when we select one it says 'searching for signal', then
> the screen goes blank and nothing happens.
>
> Could this be caused by trees? We have it set up according to
> the settings provided for our zip code. We get all the other
> channels just fine.
>
> Direct TV said they don't have to make any adjustment to our
> account, since the channels are included in the package. They
> said our receiver would recognize the new dish.

Liz, I don't remember about my Hughes Executive but I do know that for my
DTivos I have to go through the setup and specify the type of dish that I
have. Try doing that and see if it helps. The receiver will recognize the
dish but it has to know to look for it.

> Also, if we moved 75 miles away, would we still be able to
> receive the channels from our original city?

That depends on where you fall within your spot beam (if your city is in a
spotbeam and not CONUS). You might look at a spotbeam map and see what the
coverage area is.

---