Sign in with
Your question

Some results for testing the Coolermaster 212 plus on an i7950

Last response: in Overclocking
October 24, 2010 1:48:20 AM

I recently installed a 212 plus on top of my i7 950. I am currently at stock speeds but I will be overclocking soon. I am using an EVGA X58 Sli E758 mobo in an Antec 902 case with a side window fan installed. For testing I have all the fans set to high except for the side window fan which is @1500 rpms. I currently have one MSI Cyclone GTX 460 installed. I will be adding a second one this week. I also have a Kingston ram/fan cooler installed over the ram. Everytime I reinstalled the 212 I applied a fresh coat of AS5. I spread it using a razor blade on the cpu heat spreader. I also put some AS5 on the base of 212 and run a razor blade across it to fill the gaps bewtween the heatpipes and base. I use a razor blade designed for a razor knife so it is wide enough to cover the entire base in one pass. I just hold it flat and pull straight across the base. It fills the small gaps and removes the excess.

I first installed the 212 with just the one fan it comes with in the south/north direction. Temps on the cores stayed between 63-65c while running P95 and furmark at the same time.

I then reinstalled the 212 facing east/west. Temps hit bewteen 66-68c while running P95 and furmark at the same time.

I then installed a second stock Coolermaster fan for a push/pull setup. I again installed the 212 in both directions. The second fan dropped temps by about 3-4c in both directions but I got the same results. South/North still gives the best core temps by a fairly large margin.

Vreg temps, which can be a problem with the E758, were about 5c lower with the fans facing east/west. I assumed that would be the case since more air is blowing over the vreg heatsink. East/West the vreg hit @58-60c. North/south it hits @63-65c. Max temp for the Vreg is 100c according to EVGA. As long as it stays under 80c I am happy.

In my setup the 212 plus gives the best core temps setup south to north. Of course YMMV. It is a very tight fit on the E758 but it does just fit. The fan brackets touch the Vreg heatsink but they don't apply any pressure on it.

a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2010 10:08:35 AM

very good test........ very informative....... though not sure using a sharp razor on a polished surface without creating a few nicks............
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2010 5:44:51 PM

Mm, I got mine installed facing North/south when changed thermal paste some time back, but i see a temp rise of 2-3 c than before when it was east/west positioned.
Well it may also be due to the thermal paste itself been not optimum.
Well on playing cpu heavy game, temp doesn't exceed 60 c, on 3.6 ghz.
So no worries. :D 
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2010 6:24:45 PM

abully said:
very good test........ very informative....... though not sure using a sharp razor on a polished surface without creating a few nicks............

You do have to be very careful. Just hold it flat and keep the entire edge on the surface.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2010 6:41:33 PM

Running 65c max at stock speed is not that good, you only have 10c to go if you care about your processor and want to comply with Intel's thermal spec.

The 212+ is a great budget cooler but just isn't capable of handling the heat generated by an OC'd i7, hopefully you are just going for a very mild OC.

Good luck.
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:05:49 PM

RJR said:
Running 65c max at stock speed is not that good, you only have 10c to go if you care about your processor and want to comply with Intel's thermal spec.

The 212+ is a great budget cooler but just isn't capable of handling the heat generated by an OC'd i7, hopefully you are just going for a very mild OC.

Good luck.

With both fans installed it stays between 59-61. I know I won't be able to overclock that high with the 212 but I don't plan to right now. I plan to go to water cooling eventually.
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:35:42 PM

I just installed the 212's great big brother. The V10, better not try doing a north/south install with that.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 5:21:49 AM

beekermartin said:
I recently installed a 212 plus on top of my i7 950. I am currently at stock speeds but I will be overclocking soon. I am using an EVGA X58 Sli E758 mobo in an Antec 902 case with a side window fan installed. For testing I have all the fans set to high except for the side window fan which is @1500 rpms. I currently have one MSI Cyclone GTX 460 installed. I will be adding a second one this week. I also have a Kingston ram/fan cooler installed over the ram. Everytime I reinstalled the 212 I applied a fresh coat of AS5. I spread it using a razor blade on the cpu heat spreader. I also put some AS5 on the base of 212 and run a razor blade across it to fill the gaps bewtween the heatpipes and base. I use a razor blade designed for a razor knife so it is wide enough to cover the entire base in one pass. I just hold it flat and pull straight across the base. It fills the small gaps and removes the excess.

I first installed the 212 with just the one fan it comes with in the south/north direction. Temps on the cores stayed between 63-65c while running P95 and furmark at the same time.

I then reinstalled the 212 facing east/west. Temps hit bewteen 66-68c while running P95 and furmark at the same time.

I then installed a second stock Coolermaster fan for a push/pull setup. I again installed the 212 in both directions. The second fan dropped temps by about 3-4c in both directions but I got the same results. South/North still gives the best core temps by a fairly large margin.

Vreg temps, which can be a problem with the E758, were about 5c lower with the fans facing east/west. I assumed that would be the case since more air is blowing over the vreg heatsink. East/West the vreg hit @58-60c. North/south it hits @63-65c. Max temp for the Vreg is 100c according to EVGA. As long as it stays under 80c I am happy.

In my setup the 212 plus gives the best core temps setup south to north. Of course YMMV. It is a very tight fit on the E758 but it does just fit. The fan brackets touch the Vreg heatsink but they don't apply any pressure on it.

Btw, bear in mind, many motherboards have set a default vcore that is too high try decrease it and check stability, I got the problem with mine actually, and also- overclocking means increasing v core, many people tend to overstate the vcore, which is the main factor affecting temprature, too low a vcore means instability, too high means high temps. So you may try decreasing by a little step the vcore and check stability.
m
l
October 25, 2010 5:47:19 AM

I will try that 55range.

I was just trying to post my results of the 212 plus in different directions.

I know there are many factors to heat generation. I was trying to give a sample of stock settings with only changing the direction of the 212 plus install.

Again, my results are with my setup. YMMV
m
l
!