Pentium D 965 EE with EVGA 750i FTW motherboard

Montsegur97

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
So I recently bought this barebones kit from Tigerdirect which included the Pentium D 965 Extreme Edition with an EVGA 750 I mobo. I know this CPU is older and what not, but does the trick for me right now.

I was just wondering about accurately measuring the temperature of the processor. I've read in some places that what I'm reading currently (approx 46c Idle and 64C on max load), may actually be -15C so 31C Idle and 49C at load? But I'm pretty clueless about this stuff, so I don't really know which is accurate. I've used Speedfan and Everest, both give the same readings.

I have 2 case fans going, which are spinning properly and ramping up properly with games and such. I've seated the HSF multiple times with Zalman STG compound just to make sure I was getting best results with that. All gave about the same temp with a thin layer of the stuff on the cpu, or on the HSF, or on both.

The HSF isn't the greatest thing, http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3302739&CatId=1588, but seems to do the job for others.

Everything else seems to be running fine, my HD is always about 37C, vid card rarely gets past 60C (GTX 260). If I need to post anything else about it, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Good point. Still, either way OP needs a good HSF to OC the E5200 any ways.

4745454b

Titan
He could use the sink he has now. Its better then stock, and he should be able to hit 3GHZ+ pretty easy. Considering how much faster this would be then the heater, I mean P4 he has now, its not a bad idea.

:heink:

Montsegur97

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
So I just went with the new CPU since the fans would cost almost as much to cool. This CPU is already running about 11C cooler. I'll sell of the Pentium EE on ebay and that'll be that. Now time to read up on overclocking...

Montsegur97

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Yup, they had it a store here for the same price as all the online sites (actually 10$ cheaper then most canadian sites). Just did a stress test on it and it's running a whole lot cooler. I'll try reading up on overclocking later in the day since I've never done it before.

^The number gotta do more with noise than any thing else. Most fans to can pull it down to 57C with out getting loud. It can go lower but most fans become louder (audible fan sound). 57C is based off of the average noise of the fans I have used.

Montsegur97

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Well, thanks a ton for the advice guys. Just ran Crysis on High without a hitch, good FPS, way better than what I had with the 965 EE, and my E5200 isn't even overclocked. Temps are far better too, Crysis was reaching 48C, beats the 64-66C on the Pentium D.

Glad I didn't spend 80 bucks on a fan. Probably saving a ton on hydro too....

Yep. It's amazing how much faster the Core 2 architecture is clock for clock - as you noticed, the E5200, despite running at just 2.50GHz, absolutely wipes the floor with the 3.73GHz Pentium D, all while running cooler and using less power.