New build won't power up

scottsr123

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
My first build. XFX nForce 750 with AMD QC 9500, 8GB, dual 1TB Hitachi HDDs in RAID 1 array. Powered it up just fine, checked all the settings in BIOS, configured RAID, all without problems. Started installing Vista x64, and when it got to the point of asking for drivers for the RAID drives, screen went white for a second, then comp shut down. I am now unable to turn it on. I have the red LED's on the mobo on, but I can't get anything else to happen. rechecked all connections, found nothing wrong. HELP!

scottsr123

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Tried all this, even the minimal reboot attempt with the mobo out of the case. All I can get is a red LED where I put 1 memorystick, nothing else. Frustrating part is that it was running fine (rebooted several times setting up BIOS and RAID config, with no problems) until I got into the OS install. Then, white screen, shut down and dead. Bad Mobo?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
:/ I would advise you to stay away from all nvidia chipsets if at all possible...but if you already have 2 nvidia GPU's, then I suppose that one would be alright, it seems to be one of the better 7 series boards out there. Buy it from newegg and save some money:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131323

If you just have one gpu that you would like to set up in a multi-gpu setup later, then I would go for an xfire board and use the GPU you have now until you can get an ATI card, then sell your nvidia GPU and use the xfire gpu instead, you will be less likely to have issues on a 790fx/gx chipset.

scottsr123

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
No GPU yet, so I'm open to other chipsets. Will the Gigabyte mb you recommended support a 95W processor (Phenom 9500)? Can't find that in the specs.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
MSI isn't the greatest mobo company, but certainly not the worst. I would prefer the one that I first linked, but that board would be fine as well. The two boards are pretty comparable in features, but I like Asus better for mobo's and the asus happens to be cheaper.

If you were interested in getting a faster CPU (that 9500 is pretty slow...) then you might look into this combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165047

That CPU is much faster and will last you much longer than the 9500, which is slow and hot. The 9500 you have is built on the 65nm process, so it uses more energy and gets hotter, the new Phenom II's use a 45 nm process which is more efficient and faster. Since they do not get as hot, they will overclock very well too...The 940 linked there has reached a record of 6.5ghz...videos of it on youtube. If money is kinda tight though wait a year or so to upgrade the processor, I don't think it will last you longer than that since you are a gamer, chances are you will get over it and want a faster CPU.