Sign in with
Your question

Can't initialize my WD Passport. HELP!

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 29, 2010 6:59:50 PM

Hello,
WD Passpport stopped working like I've read happens to a lot of people. It doesn't have a drive letter, so I can't format it through device manager or command prompt. I went to computer management/disk management and it shows up there, but it's not initialized. I try to set up a new simple volume and assign it a drive letter, and it says "Failed: drive not initialized." So, I try to initialize it and it says "Media is write-protected" and nothing happens. Can anyone help?

More about : initialize passport

a c 98 G Storage
September 29, 2010 7:10:03 PM

Is the disk encrypted? If so, you need the application that was used to encrypt the drive. I have a BlackArmor drive that displays similar symptoms unless I use its "launcher" program to open the drive.

m
l
August 22, 2011 3:56:47 PM

Quote:
Hello,
WD Passpport stopped working like I've read happens to a lot of people.

did u manage to fix it???
my disk worked for 3h..... !! after i connected it for first time. i copied most of my most important files there so i can format my old seagate...... and guess what? it died.... no partition ando no way to recover and files or partitions like it never existed. i have exactlly the same problem and cant even format it now.......
m
l
!