System cooling

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hi there,

I have a Q9550, ASUS P5N-D 750i, XFX 260 Black edition.

I am considering buying a Titan Fenrir TTC-NK85TZ HSF.
Will this be enough to cool my system if I use the software overclocking action? (I never physically overclock)

Need I consider an alternate HSF? and if so, which? (I don't know exactly what I'd be looking for, I can't find a better HSF of that size)

I won't need an extractor fan now correct? (because Titan Fenrir blows towards the back of PC)

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi H

I suggest you learn how to do your OCing in the bios. I've see the ASUS overclocking software (AI Gear, AI Suite, whatever) take out a board on more than one occasion, quite a few times actually. Same rule applies for the ASUS online update utility, do your flashing in DOS environment not Windows.

Titan Fenrir TTC-NK85TZ HSF:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2383

"I won't need an extractor fan now correct?"

You shouldn't need anything, just point the fan toward your rear case fan. BTW I have a P5N-D as well.

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Aha, there is also software that came with my XFX (or.. was it Q9550.. think not anyway) to overclock.
Great to know about the ASUS software though o_O thanks.

So is the Titan Fenrir overpowered/priced/sized for a non-OC build like mine?

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
It looks like a nice cooler with the 120mm fan, you are aware that you will have to take the motherboard out to install it right?
It's cool to OC the video cards within Windows (registry) with software, I kind of like it that way, the setting return to their default value while booting. I'm not familiar with the XFX OC software, the only software I've tried is RivaTuner and EVGA Precision. Good luck with your P5N-D, its a sweet board.

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Okay, I've installed the Titan Fenrir. Sounds powerful, and a weak cool breeze is coming through every vent in the pc without case-mounted fans - but my CPU is still idling 57...

This issue is clearly irrelevant to the HSF now correct? Must be a CPU defect.. or.. motherboard again? (I've just sent back a defective motherboard which did some damage to my CPU, and installed replacement Motherboard).

p.s. The pc has frozen 7 times in a row on boot-up at random parts now - is this more likely to be a GPU error or CPU error? (If CPU error then I'll try get a replacement because it may also be causing the overheating mentioned above (although I have no idea)).

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
"The pc has frozen 7 times" Sound like you need to try some manual setting in the bios, I would start with the ram. Link us to your ram and what are your current settings? Back to the temps download and install RealTemp, see what it says.
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

rabidpug

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i have a cooling question as well

amd phenom x4 9500 , Asus M2N68-LA , Geforce 9800gtx+

i was considering buying a HSF or a regular fan and replace the stock one that came with my computer.. also, i am looking for free software that measures temperature. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Okay - note that I've recently rebuilt my PC (correctly I'm sure) but don't know if certain settings reset when reinstalled etc).

Do you mean RAM options in the BIOS?
Or do you mean I just need to change things in the BIOS to make this work (not necessarily RAM), and to you it sounds like the PC component the most likely to be damaged is the RAM - which is causing these problems? (Didn't think it could do that).

By the way, which RAM settings do you want me to list you? (I don't know of any such list).

I'm using "2x 2Gb Corsair DDR2 6400 UB" RAM.

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I went with Titan Fenrir. Worked well but case itself is now looking at being replaced. Northbridge becomes untouchable after 4mins idle of PC, looking for airflow to cool that right down *hope*. Freezing was due to ASUS software setting a temp at which the PC would freeze but maintain all processes - very basic way of trying to hinder temp increase. I found the limit by 50c and changed it to 65c. It gets to 80c very very quickly on idle so I tested placing a loose fan on my open case on the N/B to see the effect - it became stuck around 55-57c.

I'm hoping to solve this issue with airflow but I think my MB has a problem. It's been replaced already along with EVERYthing else lol but I don't see these temps being normal. I'm looking at buying the Antec 1200 PC case although it would only be ideal (for me) if it had venting on top (and the side venting not only is damaging where it is, but also sealed (thankfully) - yet they call it venting..).