Help with system spec for RAW processing (for a Photographer)

Omer Yair

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hi all,

After searching the web for some time I could not find which parts are most important for RAW processing of images? Should I invest less on CPU power and put the rest for a faster memory or maybe it's the other way around? What benefits does a fast HD yields? Does Adobe ACR (Bridge or Lightroom) benefit from multiple cores when processing images? Does CaptureOne 4 benefit from multiple cores? How important is a strong graphics card for RAW processing? Please note that most of the work won't be done on Photoshop so it is less important to me how long applying a certain filter would take.

Here are a few observations I made while running some diagnostics during RAW editing/processing:

Software used: Adobe ACR/Bridge
Camera: Nikon D700 (14 MP RAW files)
System: Pentium 4 630 (3 GHz), 2GB DDR2 memory
Time for preview (~1000x800 pixels): 2-3 seconds
Time to convert RAW to JPEG: ~10 seconds
Running diagnostics while ACR and Bridge where running revealed that both programs allocated about 100 MB of memory for each image processing and while processing, CPU load was 100%. I also found that HD i/os where performed only on image save (after processing ended).

I am aware this is an old PC but if Adobe ACR or CaptureOne 4 won't benefit from multiple cores I can't see the benefit of upgrading (3Ghz is fast and the memory never reaches 100% usage). My primary goal is to get preview time as low as possible (less than one second). Second goal is to lower RAW to JPEG conversion time (waiting half an hour for a batch to finish is both time consuming and annoying). All other benefits for improving digital processing workflow are also welcome but I don't plan investing much in it.

Thanks,
Omer Yair
http://www.oyphoto.co.il

Contact the software vendors or read their websites to see if there is multi core support . S

Some one here might know , but I bet Adobe definitely know .

Image processing tends to be very cpu intensive
if there is multi core support its hard to go past an intel core i7 system . These chips have a clear lead in encoding apps . If your budget is a bit less then Core 2 Quad or Phenom ll 940 are both good options.

If your programs dont support multiple cores you can still get a substantial speed increase by switching to a Core 2 Duo like the e8400/e8500 . These chips are much faster than the P4

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
For any sort of video or photo editing, a quad core will excel, especially the new i7 line of CPUs. GPUs will not affect these processes, and RAM will not directly affect performance, just the amount of concurrent processes. Seeing as you do not want to invest too much into this, I would suggest a Core 2 Quad, things have come a long way since the P4 era, and a Core 2 CPU with less speed can still out perform the faster P4.

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

The Hard drive you use will not affect the actual time it takes to convert the images. However it might affect the preview time for the image, if the images are initially stored on the computer.

I assume you have quite a large space requirement, so something along these lines would be ideal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

I am not sure what components you need, or what your budget is, these details are pertinent to help you create a new computer. What I did suggest are good reliable components that will offer you the best performance/price ratio.

Omer Yair

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks for the quick replay!

Actually, if I would make a change I would have to invest a fair amount even without considering CPU/MOBO/Memory: New HDs as current are IDEs and probably won't fit (or won't take advantage of) new MOBO (2 x 1.5T Seagate Baracuda = ~250$, New quite case - PSU - decent CPU cooler ~200$)

Already checked with the companies KBs: PhaseOne (Capture One 4) does state its software will behave better with dual or quad core but it seems like it would behave better as any other software which utilizing more than one thread would behave better with more cores (It doesn't answer if processing time will be shorter)... Adobe on the other hand mentions nothing about performance gains. The question is posted here to here some people experience as opposed to biased tech responses.

The current spec I'm looking at is as follows:
(will be overclocking - hoping to get stable 3.6-3.8Ghz on air cooling)
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB)
CPU Cooling: Thermaltake V1
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590
PSU: Crosair 650W
HDs: 2x (or 3x) Seagate Baracuda 7200 1.5TB (might go for RAID 0 with two drives for a fast drive and a third for internal backup)
GPU: I have no idea what should fit here...

I might get an external adapter for converting IDE to USB 2.0 (does an adapter for eSata exists?) for using old drives as external backups.

Total cost: ~1200$

I'm sure this setup should be more than enough to run photo editing apps but what I really expect is low preview time (less than one second) - if that won't be achievable with this kind of setup than I'd rather spend the money on photo equipment and upgrade the computer when I upgrade my camera.

From the benchmarks I have seen a system like that should be more than twice as fast as your current computer .

I am becoming less of a fan of RAID 0 as I get older . Its one of those things where the risk/ reward ratio doesnt work for me . You will be surprised how much faster a SATA ll hard drive is compared to an IDE drive . Expect even a single drive to load large files in about a quarter of the time . Is it fast enough?
If it is it leaves open the possibility of RAID 1 on only two drives .

Unless you play 3D games done get drawn in to the more is better for your gfx card . A low end quaddro or equivalent ATI card is the best option IMO . Im sure you are more concerned with color accuracy than FPS , or even rendering large 3d animations .

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Raid 0 literally gives no benefit in almost every situation a consumer will encounter and you double chances of lossing all your data and I don't think there is a RAID 0 + 1 other drive. Raid 10 requires 4 drives. Raid 1 with 2 drives and raid 5 with 3 drives are good data protection solutions.

For your GPU onboard will probably do you fine, if there is no onboard an ATI 4670/4830 would fit the bill, the more you pay the more 3d gaming power you get. I don't think any of the apps you mention tap into a GPU.

I dont think the third drive was intended to be part of a RAID . Just a back up drive installed in the computer .
Even a 4830 is more power than the OP needs . 3D gaming is a completely different task to accurate color adjustment and viewing static images . Maybe a 4670 , but any more is a complete waste

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I dont think the third drive was intended to be part of a RAID . Just a back up drive installed in the computer .
That would be a pain to keep up to date.

Even a 4830 is more power than the OP needs . 3D gaming is a completely different task to accurate color adjustment and viewing static images . Maybe a 4670 , but any more is a complete waste.
I agree is there is absolutely no gaming needs at all, even a 4670 over onboard is a waste.

Omer Yair

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
The backup strategy is as follows: Every file downloaded from the camera is copied to two internal HDs and after files are sorted (by date or session / rating etc) they are backed up to external drive. Every two weeks I exchange the external drive with another from a different site (mostly for theft safety).

Current HD is WD 750GB caviar - according to tests it should perform very well but it is still sometimes slow for me - thus I though of using RAID 0 of two drives for the operating system / applications / current work data (and another HD as backup).

Some interesting info I gathered here: Tom's Hardware - CPU Benchmark
You can see that dual core is actually faster on photoshop tests compared to the new i7 965 (!). This only strenghten my concern that multiple cores might enable multiple tasks performed at the same time but won't speed up a single task significantly.

Anyway, I contacted both companies support to get some more specific info. I'll update when they replay.

The current spec I'm looking at is as follows:
(will be overclocking - hoping to get stable 3.6-3.8Ghz on air cooling)
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB)
CPU Cooling: Thermaltake V1
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590
PSU: Crosair 650W
HDs: 2x (or 3x) Seagate Baracuda 7200 1.5TB (might go for RAID 0 with two drives for a fast drive and a third for internal backup)
GPU: I have no idea what should fit here...
Looks good. As for GPU like said above get a 4670.

Note: If you are not gaming, softmodding the card to a workstation card may help you. Not sure with photo editing, but CAD benefits from a workstation card.

Omer Yair

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Adobe and Phase One support replayed to my question:
Phase One replayed "You will see an improvment in all areas of performance especially image processing time." - very encouraging.
Adobe replay was more of a complaint I didn't post the question in their forum first and contained no information other than how to register and post a message there (pathetic support). I didn't spend any more time on Adobe as Capture One fits me more than Bridge/Lightroom.