bhumber

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I am considering upgrading my system with the Core i7 920 with the X58 mobo. I am currently running Windows
XP Pro 32 bit. What benefits would I get out of upgrading to windows XP Pro x64 or Windows vista?

I realize there are some benefits to upgrading to Vista or possibly Win7 when it debuts, but how much performance
would I be sacrificing by staying with WinXP Pro 32-bit with the components I listed above. Is there any benefit to
upgrading to WinXp 64bit instead of Vista? Also, I am primarily a gamer (I don't run multiple apps at the same time very
often at all). Mainly RTS and FPS games are my main games of choice.

Thanks for any help.

I think you forgot to list the components above.

If you're going with 3GB of DDR3 there isnt really any issue.
Going with the more common 6GB of DDR3 you'd not get the benefit of that extra RAM.
Upgrading to XP/64 over Vista/64 isnt a great idea. Driver support in XP/64 isn't near as good as in Vista/64.

I don't think you'd be sacrificing any performance under Vista and you'd have the option of using DX10. With Vista SP1 almost all the performance penalty is gone. Some games even perform better under Vista. Vista SP1 vs. XP SP3

bhumber

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for your help. I have considered Vista but was hesitant due to the cost to benefit. With Win7 coming out I'm sure the cost of Vista will come down.

Have you checked the cost of Windows XP recently?
Hasnt dropped much in the 2 years and change since Vista's been out.

I wouldn't count on the price of Vista dropping any time before October, and maybe not even then if Windows 7 comes priced @ $129.99 for the OEM version.

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
You can do a clean install of Windows 7. And install it on a new computer without needing Vista.

I am currently running Windows 7 on two I7 computers and one Dell laptop. No problems, awesome performance.

After testing Windows 7 on my laptop I replaced Vista on the other two computers :)

If there are no major problems, It is expected that Microsoft will release Windows 7 before the end of the year.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

If your worried about wasting your money or the fact Win7 is coming out soon and you want it, just get an OEM copy of Windows Vista basic $89-99 on newegg, your spending however much on a new system 89-99 bucks for an OS wont break the bank.

I wouldn't waste your time with Vista Basic when you can get Home Premium for $100.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488 $99.99

bmuell

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
You could just clean install Windows 7 beta and use that until it expires in August. It seems stable enough. By then the retail version should be ready to ship.

Can Windows 7 beta use Vista 64 drivers?

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Yes, Windows 7 can use Vista 64 drivers.

Windows 7 is not listed as an OS choice when you go to download drivers:)

I have not found any major driver issues with the three computers running Windows 7.
Only issue I had to report was a "resume from sleep" problem on the laptop.
It now resumes as it should after a couple of Windows updates.

TRENDING THREADS