Command Window won't stay open

This problem applies to the System Configuration Utiliy
window as well. When I type "command" into the "run"
box, the "command window" opens for a split second and
then closes. When I type in "msconfig", the System
Configuration Utility opens for a split second and then
closes. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to
fix this problem?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about command window stay open

    [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
    Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
    Viruses.]]

    Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

    Free online virus scan

    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:d55001c43a0e$e9cff650$a101280a@phx.gbl,
    cparham1938 <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > This problem applies to the System Configuration Utiliy
    > window as well. When I type "command" into the "run"
    > box, the "command window" opens for a split second and
    > then closes. When I type in "msconfig", the System
    > Configuration Utility opens for a split second and then
    > closes. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to
    > fix this problem?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks for the help. This is on a friend's computer and
    I have already removed Klez and Sasser. I will use an
    online scan to find the rest and remove them. I'll make
    sure he gets some anti-virus software.

    Thanks again!

    Here's what I use and it's free.

    Get Your AVG for free!
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Whatever he ends up using, make sure it's kept up to date or it's worthless.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:d72901c43a81$efdc9760$a101280a@phx.gbl,
    cparham1938 <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for the help. This is on a friend's computer and
    > I have already removed Klez and Sasser. I will use an
    > online scan to find the rest and remove them. I'll make
    > sure he gets some anti-virus software.
    >
    > Thanks again!

Configuration Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP