Sign in with
Your question

New build. Fans going, but black screen. HELP!

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2009 2:22:14 AM

Guys, I'm really having problems. I just bought a new PSU (600 watts OCZ StealthStream), a new Foxconn A7VMX-K AM2/AM2+, and a new Gigabyte case. I moved my old RAM, CPU (AMD Athlon x2 4000+), DVD Drive, GPU (Nvidia 9600 GT) and HDD into the new case, with the new PSU and MOBO. I plugged everything in, pushed the power button, and on came all the fans (except the 9600's fan) are working great. The problem is...I get absolutely nothing on the monitor. Not even a BIOS. I've tried hooking the VGA cable up to both the integrated GPU and the 9600. No dice on either one. I've tried different sticks of RAM and booting up with no HDD or DVD drive. Nothing works. I have all the power connections right, and if I put my hand on the HDD, I can feel it vibrating, but the HDD activity light on the case is not coming on (I've checked my connections on this). The other thing is that the 9600's fan is not working. I have a 6-pin PCIe connector hooked up to it, but I still get nothing. Can anybody help me?

PS. I have tried the obvious: Make sure the monitor is plugged in to an AC outlet and functioning properly.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2009 2:43:52 AM

Its not obvious why you list two motherboards
March 12, 2009 2:48:15 AM

Outlander_04 said:

Huh? The only MoBo I listed was the Foxconn A7VMX-K, my new board. Can anybody please help? I'm at my wits end. I had one last-ditch thought. I'm using 667 MHZ memory, and the MoBo supports 1066 MHZ. Is this my problem? I thought that it would still run it, but that it would only run a 667 MHZ. The question still remains as to why the 9600's fan is not spinning, yet everything else is working fine.
Related resources
March 12, 2009 2:56:08 AM

so when you said "and a new Gigabyte MOBO" you meant what?

its hard to offer advice without good information .

Does the computer POST ? . There should be one single beep as it powers on . Does that happen?
March 12, 2009 2:57:16 AM

Outlander_04 said:

Outlander_04 said:
so when you said "and a new Gigabyte MOBO" you meant what?

its hard to offer advice without good information .

Does the computer POST ? . There should be one single beep as it powers on . Does that happen?

Ah. I see what you mean. I meant that to be "a new Gigabyte case". Sorry about that.
March 12, 2009 4:30:17 AM

ok so now we can try and solve the problem .

is there a case speaker attached to the mb ? The connectors are right by the power connectors . the speaker might be mounted in the case or maybe just came with the case .
Do you get a beep?

If its attached and you dont get a beep then

First check that you have both power leads plugged in to the mb . One is the 20/24 pin and the other is either 4 or 8 pin and is usually located near the cpu socket.

March 12, 2009 2:13:17 PM

OK. I've disconnected my CPU, cleaned off my old CPU grease, and applied new grease. I plugged everything back in, and guess what? I can now get to the BIOS. It won't boot up into Windows, however, because it doesn't list my HDD as being connected. I have it plugged into the SATA4 spot. What's up?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2009 3:07:23 PM

This may sound like a dumb question, but is the power cable plugged into the HD in addition to the SATA cable? You should be able to plug the HD into any SATA port, but it's usually a good idea to plug the main HD into the SATA 0 port. Did you set the boot priority correctly in the BIOS? You may have to install the RAID drivers to get the HD to function in AHCI mode. You can also try changing the SATA ports to IDE emulation mode in the BIOS.
March 12, 2009 4:01:59 PM

OK guys. I finally got it to successfully boot to the BIOS, and it lists my operating systems I have installed to load. When I try to boot Windows Vista Home Premium, though, it just boots up just past the loading screen, then it crashes and restarts the computer. I have three OS's on the HDD I put into the computer (XP, Vista, and Windows 7). None of them will boot except XP, and there is can't get the mouse to work in XP, although it does work when I load the Vista Boot CD and try to repair the Vista installation.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2009 5:09:21 PM

So you're trying to boot an OS that was already on the HD? That very rarely works. Your best bet is to do a fresh install of the OS with the HD installed in the new system.
March 12, 2009 8:36:46 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
So you're trying to boot an OS that was already on the HD? That very rarely works. Your best bet is to do a fresh install of the OS with the HD installed in the new system.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot.
March 16, 2009 3:18:08 PM

OK. I got everything working great, except for two things. My DDR2 memory is only working in single channel (according to CPU-Z), and I get strange pink/purple colors in COD4. I get other weird colors in Crysis, where the tree's leaves are turning brown and/or white. Any ideas? My Mobo only has two RAM slots, so I can't try a different slot. I have two 1GB chips right now.

BTW. I downclocked my 9600 GT and the graphical glitches go away, but the games are slower. Help???!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2009 3:23:09 PM

Are your RAM sticks a matched pair or different manufacturers/speed?

When you say you "downclocked" your GPU, do you mean it's running under its rated speed or did you previously have it overclocked and it's now running at rated speed?
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2009 3:29:59 PM

Crysis is a very demanding game, and your card would not run it well on higher settings or higher resolutions. COD4 is somewhat demanding, and you might need to turn down some items to get it to run well, especially with your older CPU.
March 16, 2009 3:46:18 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Are your RAM sticks a matched pair or different manufacturers/speed?

When you say you "downclocked" your GPU, do you mean it's running under its rated speed or did you previously have it overclocked and it's now running at rated speed?

I downclocked from the factory settings. I have to take it down a good bit (80 MHZ core and similar on shader clock, as well as 80 MHZ on memory clock). And my memory modules are two different brands (Kingston and one of the old sticks from my Dell). They are the same exact speeds and timings. Each are 1GB sticks. Proximon: I know Crysis is demanding, and it plays a bit slow on high, but even when I turn down the settings, I'm still getting strange colors in the trees (white and/or brown leaves).
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2009 5:03:37 PM

You're not going to be able to run your RAM in dual channel. Different manufacturers use different chips in their RAM. You need to buy a matched pair to guarantee dual channel mode.

It looks like your GPU may be faulty if it's corrupting graphics at default settings.
March 17, 2009 1:58:19 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
You're not going to be able to run your RAM in dual channel. Different manufacturers use different chips in their RAM. You need to buy a matched pair to guarantee dual channel mode.

It looks like your GPU may be faulty if it's corrupting graphics at default settings.

Geez, that sucks. Hopefully I'll have enough money to soon buy a new GPU and CPU. BTW. My Mobo says that it's designed for lower power processors (95W or under). It does support the Phenom II, and I can download an updated BIOS on Foxconn's website that adds AM3 support. My question is: will the Phenom II 920 work on my Mobo? It also lists my MoBo as being compatible on this page: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=585392. My MoBo is the Foxconn A7VMX-K. The Phenom II is a 125W processor, and I don't know if my MoBo would support it (power wise).
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2009 6:06:53 AM

Foxconn has not published a CPU compatibility list for the board. You would have to ask them.
!