Difference between 2xPCI-E: 8x8 vs 16x16

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I'm trying to select the motherboard for a new build and I've never had a dual GPU system before. Is there a huge performance difference between having both cards at x16 versus both at x8? Most of the motherboards that I've come across that just have (2) PCI-E x16 slots run both cards at x8; the only ones that I've found that support (2) x16 cards simultaneous are ones that have (4) x16 slots (both those all run at x8 with 4 GPU's).

I'm definitely not interested in (4) GPU's, just (2). Is it worth the ~$60 for a more expensive motherboard that can support 2 GPUs at x16?

Lastly, so far I've been looking just at ASUS and Gigabyte so far, but if there are good manufacturers that offer dual x16 (not 2 @ x8) then I'd consider them.

Thanks.

Solution
Depends on what video cards you will be using and what games. There is a lot of benchmark data out there comparing the two setups. Generally, the bandwith of an 8 x 8 setup is more than enough, but not in all instances.

Sticky at the top of Graphics Forum.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Thanks, I actually read the sticky but it didn't really answer my question: is the performance improvement worth the ~$60 to get a more expensive motherboard that supports dual x16?

Depends on what video cards you will be using and what games. There is a lot of benchmark data out there comparing the two setups. Generally, the bandwith of an 8 x 8 setup is more than enough, but not in all instances.

Solution

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
8x ~ 80gbs
16x ~ 160gbs

As badge told. 8x8x can do it. Lots of bench show that its currently GPU/platform bottlenecked and not PCIe lane bottlenecked.

For the best SLI/CF performance i suggest I7. They scale really better with multi GPU.