Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Way to Apply TIM?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 25, 2010 3:28:24 AM

I have read like 100 diff ways and i have no clue if i did a good job or not to be honest.

I have a Phenom II X4 965 BE.

I have a CM Hyper 212+

i want to OC my CPU....when i installed the CM hyper 212+ i used the TIM that it came with (is that good enough or shuold i get some arctic 5 silver and apply that? will i notice a diff?

Regardless what i did was

Apply the TIM directly to the Hyper 212+ i filled in the gaps between the pipes and the base like i was told

then i placed 2 small strips (like i saw on that sticky/link in the benchmarkreviews for applying TIM review) i didnt spread the strips out i simply placed the HSF onto the CPU and tightened the plate on as tight as i could w/o over tightening the retention bracket.

did i do this right? or shoulda i spread the 2 strips out? a

also was the TIM that came with the 212+ good enough or should i re-apply using artic 5?

More about : apply tim

October 25, 2010 5:19:09 AM

just apply middle dot and let the heatsink spread it then after you mount the heatsink rotate it to remove air bubbles

sorry for bad english
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 1:59:16 PM

I have heard a few different ways to apply TIM to the heatpipe designed coolers. The one that sticks out as being popular is... Take a credit card and clean it with alcohol. Then take some TIM and put thin lines in between the pipes and the aluminum. Now screed the cooler flat with the credit card getting all the extra off leaving just the spaces in between the pipes filled. Wash your card, lol. Now put thin lines the length of the cooler, this time on every pipe. Fasten and drink beer or your favorite drink of choice.
m
l
October 25, 2010 2:20:25 PM

should i lap my hyper 212+ i never did it looked pretty smooth
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 2:25:23 PM

I wouldn't lap it, no way, not a heat pipe cooler. Plus even with a flat plate style, the returns are negligible. You have a better chance of your cpu heat spreader being concave, or convex, over the cooler in my opinion.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 2:38:55 PM

I agree there is no reason to lap.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 2:46:05 PM

^ Hmm, I still wouldn't lap it,lol

But the TIM application is interesting.
m
l
October 25, 2010 3:12:04 PM

so i have no reason to LAP?

i am asking because I plan on grabbing a 2nd fan for push/pull on my hype212+ and also another 200mm intake fan for my haf922

so figured when im installing those

1) should i apply better thermal paste (if so ill order it when getting my fans)
2) should i lap the Hyper 212+
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 4:01:34 PM

No you dont need to lap the Hyper212+.
I have never used the Cooler Master TIM but it is probably pretty good, if you are unsure of it some of the top TIMs are IC diamond, Tuniq TX-3, Gelid GC-Extreme, and Indigo Xtreme.
I use Prolimatec PK-1 that came with my Megahalems and it worked about the same as Arctic Cooling MX-2. The difference between the worst and best TIM on Benchmark reviews is 5c so temps with the TIM that comes with the Hyper212+ will probably be somewhere in between the worst and best and may perform better than most think.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 4:01:55 PM

You never know until you try.
m
l
October 25, 2010 4:21:25 PM

well i just ordered
AS5
a 120mm Fan (the one that comes with the hyper 212+) to setup push/pull
a 200mm Case fan (same as the ones on the haf 922) to mount as a side intake
and a PwM 4pin y Splitter (for the push pull)

so i will be re-applying TIM still undecided on Lapping.

ive heard good things and bad things about HDT lapping. ill prob just check how uneven it is first before deciding

BTW what are average temperatures for an AMD phenom II X4 965BE?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 4:48:10 PM

I wouldnt lap unless absolutely necessary.
The AS5 is still a great TIM, Let me know what the temp difference is between the 2.
Load or Idle?
Default or OC?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 4:51:05 PM

Quote:
ive heard good things and bad things about HDT lapping. ill prob just check how uneven it is first before deciding

I think that's a good idea, even in situations when the cooler is machined poorly, your still looking at 3 to 7c difference. That's on a badly machined product, or just a factory defect. If it is in good shape your looking at little or no difference, in some cases the temps went up.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 4:57:31 PM

"jasonp12: BTW what are average temperatures for an AMD phenom II X4 965BE?"

I would say
25-35c idle and 45-55c 100% load.
Just dont let temps pass 62c under 100% load and you should be fine.

What are your current temps?
m
l
October 25, 2010 5:07:54 PM

im not to worried about my load temps as they dont go over 45-47C

however my idle seem high not sure why....i idle around 34-35C now

however this is after reading some OC guides on toms. they advised me to disable some BIOS settings
1) C1E
2) Speed Spectrum
3) Cool N Quiet

i noticed disabling those increased my idle temps but didnt change laod at all when running Prime95. I know that some of those settings control CPU throttling which would automatically lower multiplier and frequencies when idling so is that nothing to worry about?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 5:21:53 PM

Your idle temps are fine, but I usually turn that stuff back on after I have a stable OC as it wont affect anything and will actually give the CPU a voltage break when it is not being used heavily.
I have found that the performance increase in benchmarks are minimal when all of those settings are off and there is no difference in games.
It also will not affect a stable OC.
m
l
October 25, 2010 5:23:54 PM

so whats the point of shutting that stuff off and then turning it back on?

so is it wise to turn that stuff back on after a stable OC? or should i just turn it on now?

wasnt quite sure....i am gonna be trying to push my 965BE so far ive gotten it to around 3.6-3.7ghz w/o much effort at all and thats JUST on the hyper 212+

i got 2 more fans coming and better TIM which should help i hope!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 5:49:33 PM

The point of shutting it off simply put, is to run at OCed freq 100% of the time and it is a few less thing the CPU has got to think about while under 100% load. So pretty much you are just taking those things out of the equation to make sure they are not affecting the OCs stability, while trying to find stable settings, but once stable they dont affect stability.
Is this making any sense?
It is kind of hard to explain.

I wouldnt turn them back on until you have found your max stable OC.
m
l
October 25, 2010 6:00:00 PM

i actually get what your saying

when running stress tests that stress the CPU at 100% you dont want extra junk for your CPU to be thinking about.

however once your stable your not gonna hit 100% load on 4 cores hence turning them on wont make you unstable.

now my question is whats the advantage/disadvantage of turning them back on after i get a stable OC?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 6:09:08 PM

When the CPU is not being heavily used it will lower or manage the voltage and will give the CPU a voltage break which in turn will lower temps and stress on the CPU.
There is a lot of debate on this but I personally think that if you arent pumping the voltage set in the bios to keep it stable all the time, it will help prolong the life of the CPU.
m
l
November 1, 2010 2:13:13 AM

Best answer selected by jasonp12.
m
l
!