Sign in with
Your question

I7. how many cores should be showing in my task manager

Last response: in CPUs
June 13, 2009 10:19:46 AM

Hi all

I built my own computer last month with an i7 2.67mhz cpu, since everyone was raving how good it was for rendering.
But I'm not sure I'm getting all the cores I should in my task manager
I read that I should be getting as much as 8 cores showing in my task manager, but I only have 2 being displayed, which is very disappointing.

Any advising on why this this the case would be great.

Thanks
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2009 11:33:09 AM

vincenta said:
Hi all

I built my own computer last month with an i7 2.67mhz cpu, since everyone was raving how good it was for rendering.
But I'm not sure I'm getting all the cores I should in my task manager
I read that I should be getting as much as 8 cores showing in my task manager, but I only have 2 being displayed, which is very disappointing.

Any advising on why this this the case would be great.

Thanks

Something is set wrong in BIOS.
m
l
June 13, 2009 12:01:46 PM

More info is needed..Your specs? OS? Everything!
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2009 12:08:58 PM

Crashman said:
Something is set wrong in BIOS.

MCP for OS support version perhaps?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2009 12:17:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
MCP for OS support version perhaps?

If you disable multicore support in BIOS, you can overclock farther, so loads of boards let you either disable multicore or select the number of cores to enable.

I have to assume his OS is set up correctly...since he didn't say anything silly.
m
l
June 13, 2009 12:27:20 PM

Wow its nice to see you Thomas participating in the forums! I wonder why no body helped me when I posted my last question..:( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2009 1:27:54 PM

Crashman said:
If you disable multicore support in BIOS, you can overclock farther, so loads of boards let you either disable multicore or select the number of cores to enable.

I have to assume his OS is set up correctly...since he didn't say anything silly.

I've often wondered what that did exactly as I've never actually played with it, cheers for that explanation, notes taken.
m
l
!