Does this sound like my MB is failing?

ssilverm

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I am running an ASUS P5K Premium WiFi AP motherboard.

A few weeks ago my computer started to freeze occasionally for anything from ten to thirty seconds. This is now happening with annoying frequency. On checking the Vista event logs I see that there have been an awful lot of errors with the message:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort3."

It's tempting to believe that this is responsible for the lock-ups. However, I don't actually have anything attached to IDE Port 3.

Is this indicative of my MB starting to fail?

Steve S.

anotech

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Doesn't sound like anything's failing. Try going into Device Manager and uninstalling your IDE controllers, then rebooting your system. It should automatically reinstall your devices and fix your issue.

ssilverm

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007

Device Manager had six identical listings all saying "ATA Channel" with no numeric identification. After unistalling and rebooting, they are now listed as "ATA Channel 0", "ATA Channel 1", etc. My initial surge of optimism drained away when I realised that dozens of controller errors on IDE Port 3 are still being generated.

Given that there is no drive connected to the troublesome port, I'm struggling to see how it can be anything other than a fault with the motherboard itself.

Steve S.

anotech

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Just for kicks, you may try plugging a cd drive into the controller and see what happens.

In my experience, reinstalling drivers usually fixes issues like these. When that doesn't work, you believe the hardware itself is failing, but you don't want to purchase anew motherboard, you can try to find which channel it is specificially in Device Manager and disable it. That may get rid of your freeze ups.

ssilverm

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007

IDE POrt 3 now disabled in Device Manager. No freezes as yet, but controller error messages for Port 3 still coming thick and fast. Head about to make firm contact with nearest wall.

Steve S.

ssilverm

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I find it difficult for a controller not being used to be generating errors. Like the other guy said, run memtest86.
Run the diagnostic test for your particular hdd. (western digital data life tools or whatever)

Unless I have unwittingly ingested some hallucinogenic drugs, this particular unused controller is most definitely generating errors like they are going out of fashion.

I've already run Memtest86 - it passed with flying colours. I'll have a go at running the drive diagnostics, but logic seems to dictate that, as neither of them are connected to the offending port, it's probably a futile exercise.

Steve S.

anotech

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
It's starting to sound like there's either something wrong with your OS install, or, as you thought, something may be failing on the motherboard.

If you have an extra drive laying around, you may try staging a fresh install of Windows (without your current drive in) and see if those errors are still popping up. If it's a driver issue, that should definitely clear up the errors you're getting. If that doesn't clear it up, then we can mark drivers off the list

ssilverm

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I ran Samsung's diagnostics on my drives and found that my system drive was riddled with ECC errors. I cloned the disk onto a spare drive and swapped them around. The freezing now seems to have stoppe, but the reports of controller errors on IDE3 continue. They don't seem to be having any impact on performance though.

Steve S.