Sign in with
Your question

PC weird shutdown please help

Last response: in Components
June 13, 2009 11:44:55 AM

Hello there, my pc can start up, enter windows and function completely normal until it randomly shuts down. It started out not so often, mostly while playing demanding games etc, sometimes i could go on for 5 hours other time it would take 1 hour or less. It's not heat atleast, i've checked the temps and it always running below 50C. When the PC shuts down it goes black for a few seconds until it automaticly restarts til the second boots screen where i just freezes, at this time the power on/off button doesn't work which it does before the shutdown. So i have to either pull the plug or the power button behind the case. After i do so the PC doesnt respond so i can't turn in back on. Here's the weird part, i just have to keep switching between two power cables, switch between on and off until it works, sometimes it takes 1 min other times i can take up to 5. Most of my PC is less than 4 months old

System:
Windows XP professional
4gb RAM
400gb Western Digital Harddrive
8800GT 512 mb Graphic Card
Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H Motherboard
Tagan 500W Power Supply

The thing is that exams are comming up and i don't have a PC so im screwed if i dont get it working.
I then tried to reinstall Windows today, but now when i start the installation the pc shuts down after only a few minuts, so now i can't install windows or anything.

Appreciate any help PS. sorry for the wall of text

Thanks - Nytz

More about : weird shutdown

June 14, 2009 6:05:46 AM

Ok, well first off, when you need to shut down a non-responsive PC, you don't need to pull the cord out; simply hold the power button in for 5-10 seconds and it should shut down...you don't need to be loosening the connector on your power supply.

Ok now to the problem. What you have described is strange, and sounds like it COULD be due to a faulty or failing power supply. Do you have access to an extra one that you could swap it out with for testing purposes?

EDIT: Also, how were you checking you temperatures?
June 14, 2009 7:35:12 AM

I do hold the power button in for 5-10 secs and nothing happens. I was checking the temperatures before i reinstalled windows and it only shut down when i was playing game through a program called Speedfan and they were all below 45c. I do have some other PSUs around but they're too old for my current motherboard : /

If i'm about to buy a new PSU, which one would you suggest?

Appreciate your help :) 
Related resources
June 14, 2009 9:22:38 AM

I fixed the shut down error by removing one of my ram blocks at the time so i was able to get windows installed, but now when i power on the pc and get to the Windows Loading screen i get a BSOD with "Unmountable_Boot_Volume" error, and i still have to keep pulling out the cord and turning the switch on and pff until it will start but it doesnt shut down without error anymore
June 14, 2009 10:46:09 AM

Okay, removing them RAM didn't help as i thought. I was just lucky that the installation didn't shut down on me until i got windows installed. Now when i boot up and gets to the windows logo screen the pc shuts down after a few seconds. I've tried to run repair but the PC shuts down as soon as i enter the console recovery screen.

Thanks to everyone who are helping me out, the big school project is tommorow and i'm screwed if i don't get it up and working.
June 14, 2009 11:47:33 AM

I want to say its a faulty motherboard, mainly due to the power button issue. But you can never be too sure unless you swap out parts.

It would be awesome if you could borrow a PSU from someone.. hmm
June 14, 2009 12:47:19 PM

Yeah that power button issue usually indicates a more serious problem, such as the motherboard (as rustybucket84 pointed out). Not a whole lot more you can do without having parts to swap out to test/diagnose.
!