Help!! My HDD is busted!

yabyab

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
I've always had a problem with my OS where it automatically restarts every day (usually at 8:03) and I was trying to find a solution so I went to My Computer, right click --> properties and in the advanced section I set some option to do something like "never restart when an error occurs". I went to sleep to wake up next morning with a blue screen of an error (I am at work now, but something about Hard Disk problem and that I might fix it by editing my BIOS or removing some hardware).

I tried to restart my computer, editing the BIOS or running windows on safe mode (which never works, it just stops).

when I start the computer I get the Windows XP black screen running but when I listen carefully to my Hard Disk I hear the same voice repeating. As if something preventing the needle from moving freely (jammed). After a longer than usual for the Windows XP black screen (the "loading" screen) I get a black or blue (sometimes) error screen.

My own newbie conclusion is that my HDD that has the OS is busted. Specially since when I go to the BIOS I can detect only one HDD (I have two) the master/first is there and second is not. But the problem is I DO get the Windows XP "loading" screen but NEVER able to get the "user login" screen. Instead I get an error screen.

Is there a way to fix this problem? or am I stuck with having to buy a new HDD and install my OS again?

yabyab

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Hello MechaNintendoMaster!

No, the rebooting problem started a few months back but I lived with it (while casually trying to find a solution for it).

I assembled my computer on 2007 and it lasted almost 3 years without problems. Then suddenly my OS started to restart at 8:03 (I think it started in June this year). The only thing I did before that is installing Razer Lycosa Mirror keyboard (which would force media player to run sometimes).

But now my computer doesn't start at all. I would pay $30 just to make it start!! I wouldn't be bothered by the rebooting problem if my computer can run just like 2 days ago. Until I build my new system.

What can I do to get my system running again? :(