CPU Cooler Necessary?

From the below parts, assuming I’ll never be overclocking, are the CPU cooler components really necessary? I could shave some dollars off without them but I don’t want to do it a the risk of the system. I know the GTX 295 puts out a lot of heat but I figure its fans and the ones in the case should be enough to compensate. What do you think?

ASUS P5QL Pro ATX LGA775 P43 DDR2 1PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550
WESTERN DIGITAL 640GB Black Edition SATA 3GB S DESKTOP STORAGE 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Titanium 4GB Edition Dual Channel (OCZ2T800C44GK)
EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 295 1792MB GDDR3 PCI-EXPRESS 017-P3-1291-AR
Cooler Master CM 690 Tower (RC-690)
Corsair 750 Watt Power Supply (CMPSU-750TX)

These are the parts I was thinking for CPU cooling.

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - Retail
ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound – Retail

OR

XIGMATEK dark knight (comes with Retention Bracket)
answers
Last reply
More about cooler necessary
  1. you'll only need it if oc is avaliable to you, but, a stock cooler should do you just fine. Was just looking at someones build earlier yesterday, he has a stock cooler and was keeping it in the 36c idle'd.
  2. The stock cooler will work fine if you're not planning on overclocking. Just be sure to read the instructions before you install it. A lot of people seem to miss the fact that the push-pins have to be turned the opposite direction as the arrows. It's also much easier to install the CPU cooler while the motherboard is outside the case so you can ensure all four push-pins fully seat.
  3. Sounds good. Thanks for the confirmation.
  4. Also, a aftermarket cooler will allow you to run stock at lower temperatures and run the fan on the CPU at a lower speeds, which if your interested, will reduce the noise produced by your machine.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Cooling CPUs Systems