Sign in with
Your question

Core i7 2600 System With No Moving Parts?

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 2:51:48 PM

I'm holding on to my Core i7 920 until the 2600 Sandy Bridge comes out (December? January? February?) and then taking the plunge to a whole new system and I'm hoping to have it with absolutely no moving parts at all. Although it's not for HTPC use, I'm on the PC up to 14 hours a day so I want to listen to my music and chat on the phone without having to put up with the constant fan whirring I hear now.

Therefore, here is my rationale.

Video: I don't game at all, so the 2600's built in GPU is fine with me. That equals no video card fan.

HD: I currently use a Velociraptor boot with a 1TB RAID1 which is mostly a waste as I only have a total of 172GB on all the drives (including OS) and easily 80GB of that is archive data that I can easily keep on my external USB 2.5" hard drive and plug in when I need it (likely less than once a month). So I can go with a single SSD. 128GB would be more than enough.

PSU & HSF: That's where the problems arise. I do not OC. At all. Ever. Given the rest of this system's configuration can I get away with a fanless PSU and a fanless HSF if I use a Skeleton type chassis which does not require case fans? If so, what are the recommendations? Note that I use my DVD drive only to install software and then never again. Therefore the power requirements are very low for a computer of this capability, even though I'll have a minimum of 12GB RAM and possibly 24GB if the memory prices are attractive by the time Sandy Bridge launches.

I've tried "silent" fans and they are not silent enough for me. I want to be able to hit the power button and have nothing move but electrons. Any assistance would be appreciated.
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 3:48:20 PM

You might be able to get away with a large tower heat sink but no fans on it. I think they used to have passive CPU heat sinks as well.

On the other hand, you could invest in a sturdy case with sound proofing.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 4:25:43 PM

By a large tower do you mean something like a Noctua NH-D14 with the fans ripped out? The soundproof case is out of consideration unfortunately, I need this thing to really have no moving parts.

BTW, I signed up hours ago and Tom's keeps asking me to confirm an email I never got. Any advice on how to get them to send the confirmation email?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 5:32:21 PM

Yeah, like the Scythe Ninja, I guess that the question is going to be who is going to have an adapter mounting kit for the LGA 1155 socket first. I sure hope that one of these fanless HSFs can keep up with the i7 2600's cooling requirements as I'd sure hate to have a lump of fried 32nm silicon on my hands.

I'm completely new here and I've checked the Help documentation and can't find how to do this: How do I get in touch with a site admin? Thanks.
m
l
October 25, 2010 5:51:14 PM

Ive ran a fanless heatsink on a I3 OC to 4.3ghz lol you should be fine, but use DIAMOND thermal grease, its worth the extra 15 bucks, and make sure your heat sink has 3 things, its almost a must for 14 hour grind sessions, copper not alum., micro finished bottom plate, extra 10 buck will give you 5-6 C lower and also dont have it have that pre-grease crap the factory puts on it, if it does, clean it off perfectly. And with a SSD drive PCI-E drives are viable until the sandy bridge chips come out and you should have what your looking for and for reasonable $$ wise, would like to see your temps when your done and maybe a SS of the Mobo would be cool.

This one is easy to get and will work for large systems , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

but there are specialized ones for the price of a lowend liquid cooling systems, for a cheaper one that will get you by http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... will do ok too, not the best ones you can find, but they will be at your door in 3 days.

for the grease, http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml..., it works wonders and its only 15 bucks now, win win

Some more good stuff is http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml..., its maybe one of the best on the market, but its a carbon hybrid and it'll only last 2-3 years before it breaks down and youll see your temp go up a small bit but youll have hotspots in a couple of years which can damage a chip. but stay on top of it and you'll be fine, if your new to breaking to the hardware of the system, its really not as hard as people think, I'm in my stuff twice a week lol. also, on you Mobo, put the grease right on your on board graphics card, people say dont do it, but just dont have it touch the sides are there is actual metal connectors. Just be careful and onestep at a time and watch videos on youtube. I passed my A+ exam by youtube videos and burning out my own chips to see how far itll go, watch videos of them taking off the heatsink completely while the system is running, its kinda funny to see chips still work without ANY heat diss.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 5:55:42 PM

Great to hear that a fanless HSF can handle such a high OC. The Sandy Bridges should run nice and cool so I might just be ok on this. Is Diamond grease preferable over my old standby Arctic Silver 5? Which HSF is the most effective running fanless? I certainly don't mind spending a few extra bucks on this build to buy the best quality products, so I'll use whatever is better not only in grease but also in the HSF. I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop as to what the final build gets to be.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2010 1:02:10 PM

Sorry for the double post, are there any good and recent comparison tests on fanless HSFs? Also what temps are supposed to be normal? I've had a long standing debate on this going back several CPUs. My CPUs always run way warmer than they're "supposed to". I always run SpeedFan and CoreTemp and on my last four or five CPUs (different cases, different HSFs, different everythings) my idles are always high 40s and under load always low 60s sometimes hitting low 70s for a few seconds. Ambient temps are always 21-22C. The 30s idle and 40s load temps people talk about I've never seen on SpeedFan or CoreTemp.
m
l
!