Sign in with
Your question

HP m7670.uk e6600 overclock HELP and RAM concerns.

Last response: in Overclocking
October 25, 2010 6:16:02 PM

I am completely new to overclocking and this would be my first one. I am concerned about keeping the RAM low enough to be stable but it would be best to keep the RAM in a 1:1 ratio with the e6600.. but the e6600's stock FSB is 1066MHz, and DDR2 ram shouldn't go further than that so that means the RAM frequency is already lower than the FSB. So now i'm guessing it's the bus speed, which is the FSB divided by 4.. but that's too low.. or wait, because it's DDR2 do I multiply by 2, so that goes to 533MHz, yes that's right, I think, amirite? So the 1:1 ratio business is sorted.

So if I need to keep my RAM frequency the same because it fails too much I could underclock the RAM speed by this amount if I want my e6600 @ 3GHz...
So I have DDR2 ram @533MHz
2399.4/266.6=9 (multiplier)
so...
2997(3GHz)/9=333MHz (which I found was a recommended bus speed for the cpu, yay!)
I need the FSB:RAM ratio, unfourtunately I don't have the computer atm, and I think the video card is broken so it cant start up, if someone could find out the ratio I'd be very happy ;) 
let's assume the FSB RAM ratio is 3:5
333-266.6=66.4 FSB increase, so errrm.. x5 = 332 divide by 3 (how I do it) = 110.66 reccuring, fail. I think that means I must underclock by 110.66 or near enough to not go outside overclocking (and underclocking?? :o  ) bounderies. IF THE RATIO IS 3:5.
Or I could just clock the CPU seperatly DX
If I did this, I couldn't keep the 1:1 ratio :/  so must you have good overclockable RAM to do this or have higher frequency RAM that is underclocked to the stock and default for the mobo and system 533MHz so it is overclockable? I don't even know if there are limits to underclocking, if there are i'm screwed, explain how you bypass the RAM frequency problems expert overclockers please! Or do you just tweak the multiplier instead? Sorry for dragging on and on and on :p 
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 25, 2010 8:08:59 PM

The following tells me that you do not quite understand what you are doing.

KoiCarp said:

I need the FSB:RAM ratio, unfourtunately I don't have the computer atm, and I think the video card is broken so it cant start up, if someone could find out the ratio I'd be very happy ;) 
let's assume the FSB RAM ratio is 3:5
333-266.6=66.4 FSB increase, so errrm.. x5 = 332 divide by 3 (how I do it) = 110.66 reccuring, fail. I think that means I must underclock by 110.66 or near enough to not go outside overclocking (and underclocking?? :o  ) bounderies. IF THE RATIO IS 3:5.
Or I could just clock the CPU seperatly DX

But it doesn't matter. I am pretty certain that your motherboard has a locked BIOS and you cannot overclock it anyway.
October 25, 2010 9:46:47 PM

Darn, I'd have to get a new motherboard. That would be a pain. Do you know which is easier if I want up to 3-3.2GHz, bumping the FSB or increasing the multiplier, I don't wanna touch the voltage tbh, also, which one's safer and doesn't have many complications or side effects? And yes I don't know what i'm doing, completely forgot about the fact it's an OEM and they'd lock dat *** up.
!