Sign in with
Your question

New-builder looking for advice on gaming/video editing pc

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2009 8:04:51 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The next few days (as soon as the spec is settled)
BUDGET RANGE: About £800-900 (although I could squeeze up to £1000 if it would increase the performace/longetivety)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, video editing (currently using Vegas 8 pro), word processing and presentations (will be starting uni next year)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, optical drives, sort of have a monitor (look at monitor res)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Sites that ship to U.K (i.e no newegg)

PARTS PREFERENCES:
I've always had intel + nvidia in the past, but if others are better bang for their buck, I dont mind using them.
Also case-wise, if I can fit everything in an Antec 300 or CM 590 it would be preferred :- anything bigger and i'll probably have to add a desk to my shopping list XD

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (never OC'ed before) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: At the moment, 1280x1024 (I have this from my old system)
However, in my room, I also have this 32" bravia, which I know you can use as a monitor (whether or not you would suggest this or not is a different matter).

If neither of them sound useable, could someone suggest a good, relatively cheap monito for my purposes??

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
This is the first time I'll be building a pc, so any advice you could give me is extremely welcome!
I'd like to be able to play games like Left4Dead, Empire total war and Diablo 3 (once it's out).
It's also important to me that my system should still be able to play the lastest games in 2 years time, preferably without too much of an upgrade

Thanks in advance!!
March 12, 2009 8:55:39 PM

I'm not sure what the prices are like in Britian, but from the reviews that I've read, the new Intel Core i7 is really great for video editing; rendering in particular is quite a bit faster with the i7. However, any quad-core will do well; for video editing, a quad is really advisable.
March 13, 2009 6:03:27 PM

Yeah, i was looking at getting an i7 system...I was just worried I would comprimise my other components by doing so.

I've scrambled together a a system spec for an i7 computer, and i'm working on one for an intel quad core system to compare price.

I'll post the i7 one for now, and post the the other in a sec for comparison (i want to get the ball rolling this evening)

CPU = Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor (£241.61)
MOBO = Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Socket 1366 DDR3 Motherboard (193.19 + p&p)
RAM = OCZ 6GB (3X2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum Low-Voltage Triple Channel Kit (£86.13 + p&p)
OR OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Gold (3x2GB) Triple Channel DDR3 (£114.99 + p&p)
(VERY confused when it comes to ram...if someone could point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it)
GPU = Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail (£164.99 + p&p)
HDD = Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM Green Power (£79.99)
CPU Cooler = Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V 3 Heat Pipe Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (£34.39 + p&p)
OS = Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium OEM (£88.51)
Case = Antec 300 (£44.99)
OR Coolermaster 590 (£56.99)

That altogeher brings me out at £975.26; without a psu, postage, a new monitor and using the higher-priced items in the ones with 2 options. So if anyone can suggest any better-priced solutions, I wouldnt mind hearing them!

Now for the PSU...I wasnt't sure how much power i'd need. I'd definitely want a good effecient one though.

Also, is the graphics card a good choice??? I was planning on maybe geting a second one later for SLI.....with that in mind, would I be better off changing any components?? The graphics card is on a sale atm, which is why i chose it over other options.

I've also decided I will definiely overclock the system....again, any components worth changing???

I chose the larger hard drive, as i've had trouble finding a cheap 640gb version...it was only an extra £15 to go for the full TB.

The ram confused me a great deal....there was also another ram for sale which was the same price as the gold one, which looked to have exactly the same spec as the platinum one (and it was a platinum version). If anybody can clue me in here, it'd be appreciated =)
Related resources
March 13, 2009 7:07:11 PM

Right, here's a spec for a quad core:

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Socket 775 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache OEM Processor (£217.98)
MOBO = Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P iP45 Socket 775 7.1 channel audio ATX Motherboard (£131.93)
RAM = OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500 Gold Edition 4GB Dual Channel (£44.84 + p&p)
GPU = Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail (£164.99 + p&p)
HDD = Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM Green Power (£79.99)
CPU Cooler = Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V 3 Heat Pipe Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (£34.39 + p&p)
OS = Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium OEM (£88.51)
Case = Antec 300 (£44.99)
OR Coolermaster 590 (£56.99)
Again, no psu yet...

So far, that comes to a total of £819.62...which is much more in my budget. However, how much performance/future-proofing would I lose going with this over an i7?

Basically this system needs to last me til sept 2011, as i'll hopefully be leaving the country around then with my uni course for a year...and will obviously be leaving my comp behind. I'll probably upgrade again when I come back.

Any thoughts or advice are extremely welcome

p.s. if the GPU is a good idea, i'll be buying tonight...as i think the offer running on it runs out today!
March 13, 2009 9:06:30 PM

it doesn't look like you're trying to do anything really crazy, so a good place to start would be the certified PSU section of AMD/ATI's website for single card setups. There's a whole pile to choose from, and not knowing pricing differences, I've had good luck with Antec, FSP, and Seasonic. A more expensive option is PC Power and Cooling. They come highly recommended, also.

A quick look through that list leads me to believe that anything marked as working with with the 4870 (not the X2) will be more than adequate.
!