Solved

Cooler advice for i7 950

Hey everyone. I'm building my first gaming computer and am planning on doing some moderate overclocking ( any suggestions on what a good stable/safe range to shoot for would be appreciated). I was wondering what CPU cooler you guys would recommend? I am trying to keep cost low, but still would like to get as much performance as possible.

The current plan is

Case: Cooler Master Haf-932 Black
CPU: i7 950
Fan: Prolimatech megahalems + fans
Motherboard: Asus X58 Premium
Memory: Kingston hyper X6gb ram
Video Card: Graphics card (at least a 6870 and plans for eventual crossfire/sli)
Power Supply: XFX 750W (not sure if i need more power
Hard Drive: Western Digital 7200 RPM 1TB 64MB
Optical Drive: Asus Black 24x DVD/CD

I feel like the megahalems and noctua might just be a waste of money as they are the top of the line air coolers and I don't think that I am going to push overclocking to the point where i will need that much. Any advice would be great.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooler advice
  1. stick with the original choice if your budget allows you........ you can always go crazy with ur OC!!!!!!!!

If you want to go budget then look at Scythe Mugen 2 rev B or Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 (not sure with the second one.......mixed reviews).............. all for under $40..........
  2. Im aware there will be a lot of people rooting for 212 plus........... but not advisable for OC'd i7 950........
  3. Do you need dual NICs ?
    If not, downgrade to the P6X58D-E, the cash you save there will cover the extra for the Megahalems.
  4. Best answer
    Keep the Megahalems it is well worth it.
    The recommended coolers from abully are good and he is right about the Hyper212+ not really being enough for an OCed i7 950. There are a lot mixed reviews when using it on the i7 9*0 series CPUs.
  5. These are my recommendations after alot of research and reading:

Prolimatech Megahalems - Platinum Micro $59.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ - Newegg $37.50

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B. / SCMG-2100 - Newegg $40

Also check out my thread on the same topic: Which i7 Heatsink?

Has alot of good links to reviews of the top CPU heatsinks out there.
  6. I think that I am going to go with the P6X58D-E, what are the suggestions on some good fans for it? I've heard sycthe and delta (which to me are just too loud) any others? Price range is $20-$30
  7. I use Cooler Master R4-BMBS-20PK-R0 Blade Master with my Megahalems and they work great.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103069
  8. thanks for the advice, what about a Corsair H50? I know that it is up there with the high end air coolers, it takes up less room and costs less (no need to buy more fans)
  9. The H50 is ok but most high end air coolers will perform better. I think you would be disappointed in the performance.
    If you are planning on an all in one cooling setup I would atleast go with the H70.
  10. thanks, I think i am going to go with the Megahalems thanks for all the help
  11. Best answer selected by alpha fox.
  12. Thanks for the BA and good luck. [:bohleyk:1]
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Overclocking Product