SSD Streaming Performance

What issues may I face in using an SSD to write streaming data. The data will be at about 30Mbps and I don't want to drop any of the data. There won't be an operating system but I'll be using my own interface.

How can I get the sustained write speed; not the average nor the peak but the speed at which no data will be lost. I can put a buffer in front of the SSD to allow for temporary delays but how big does it need to be?

Once the drive is full I will need to reformat or erase it (after reading the data).

The application is therefore different to a computer or server application.
4 answers Last reply
More about streaming performance
  1. You will not be faced with any problems, since the sustained write speed of the SSD is higher than your datarate. Plus there already is a buffer inside the SSD to facilitate the writing process or the reading process.
    So, if you really feel that it might be a problem, I'd suggest going in for a higher value SSD.
  2. Thanks.......that's what I believed. However we tried one expensive drive model that has sufficient internal buffer but we saw random delays over a second. We will try a different model of drive.
  3. If you have a good enough budget and your own equipment supports PCI Express slots you can try the RevoDrive from OCZ.
  4. Thanks alyoshka but it needs to be an external drive.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Performance Streaming Storage