Sign in with
Your question

SSD Streaming Performance

Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2010 9:08:20 PM

What issues may I face in using an SSD to write streaming data. The data will be at about 30Mbps and I don't want to drop any of the data. There won't be an operating system but I'll be using my own interface.

How can I get the sustained write speed; not the average nor the peak but the speed at which no data will be lost. I can put a buffer in front of the SSD to allow for temporary delays but how big does it need to be?

Once the drive is full I will need to reformat or erase it (after reading the data).

The application is therefore different to a computer or server application.
a b G Storage
October 3, 2010 3:11:40 PM

You will not be faced with any problems, since the sustained write speed of the SSD is higher than your datarate. Plus there already is a buffer inside the SSD to facilitate the writing process or the reading process.
So, if you really feel that it might be a problem, I'd suggest going in for a higher value SSD.
October 6, 2010 2:26:21 PM

Thanks.......that's what I believed. However we tried one expensive drive model that has sufficient internal buffer but we saw random delays over a second. We will try a different model of drive.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 6, 2010 2:43:34 PM

If you have a good enough budget and your own equipment supports PCI Express slots you can try the RevoDrive from OCZ.
October 6, 2010 4:36:46 PM

Thanks alyoshka but it needs to be an external drive.
!