Start up problems with new build

TMG

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Asus 5pnd MB, OCS ram & PSU, Asus Graphics card.

Just finished a new build into an old case (no manual) At first nothing worked except the led on the MB. Strange power reuirement for front panel switches. Resolved that and now the front led's light up but when power is pressed the power and reset light comes on (used to do the same on old system) but they go out in about 5 seconds. I can hear the switch making connection (like a solenoid sound) but nothing starts up, no fans etc. Am wondering if the polarity might be reversed on the front panel wiring...all the leads have a colored wire and a white wire. I initially guessed the white wire might be ground, but the leads do not match up with the block connector (supplied with the MB) that way. Have not tried to reverse them so that the white wires will be on the ground poles, but it is a thought. I have checked all other connections and I do not see any problems. Dont think anything is dead or shorted. I bought the OCZ ram based on a review, when I got the MB, the ram as not listed in the manual. I have two sticks (2gb each). Would think something would try to work before the ram shut it down, but nothing.

Any thoughts appreciated.

TMG

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I went through the list. I had checked all of this but had not tried booting with one stick of RAM.

I got the same results. I did not disconnect the reset switch but will try that also (difficult to get to).

On closer inspection, just before the front panel lights (power & reset) go out, the reset blinks once. Not sure in my mind what that might mean, but seems it is possible it is going into some sort of cycle. I can press power and both lights come on again and go through the same 5 second deal. Like all these things, it seems everything is right, but it obviously isn't and I have lost my perspective.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts