Your question

Cpu temperature monitoring

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Temperature Monitor
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
June 14, 2009 12:12:19 AM

I have a phenom x3 and am currently using the stock amd fan heatsink combo. My question is which program reports more accurate temperature info. I have used 4 different programs and seem to get mixed results. In speedfan and everest i get idle temps of 41-45 degrees and load temps from 58-65 degrees. Now when i use coretemp or amd overdrive i get idle temps of 33-38 degrees and load temps from 50-55 degrees. All measurements were taken while running prime95 for extended periods. Any info you could give would be a big help.

More about : cpu temperature monitoring

June 14, 2009 12:32:29 AM

"real temp" works best for Me.Tried lots of others...meh.
June 14, 2009 12:47:59 AM

ok got to thinking and went into speedfan and looked around to make sure i was reading the right temp.....for an phenom x3 i should be reading the temp labeled K10 right? the ones labeled it8720f are from the motherboard? or am i way off?
Related resources
June 14, 2009 1:55:18 AM

CoreTemp, HWMonitor.
June 14, 2009 4:14:08 AM

speedfan, for cpu temp. core temp and real temp for vcore temps. two totaly different things. hwmonitor is a good general program also. you might also want to download cpu-z.
June 14, 2009 12:06:27 PM

jdigital1983 said:
speedfan, for cpu temp. core temp and real temp for vcore temps. two totaly different things. hwmonitor is a good general program also. you might also want to download cpu-z.

jdigital1983, I appreciate your response. I feel dumb here, but can you please explain a little further what the difference is in those readings. Here is why, in doing some more looking around i find that in everest for example i have 4 cpu readings: 1 labeled just cpu and 3 labeled for the different cores. The ones labeled as the core temps idle around 31-35, the one labeled cpu idles around 41-45. Im very confused as to what each reading is actually for and which is correct.
June 14, 2009 1:31:57 PM

dont use everest. not one of the better ones anyway. use speedfan, its a very small program for asus boards that will work with any mother board.you want this for the cpu temp. research your chip and find out what the max temp for that chip is and do not go over it. the vcores can be monitored with real temp or core temp. v cores are the cores on your chip dual core=2 quad=4 etc. the cpu temp and v core temps are to totally different this but both are very important. RULE of Thumb - your CPU temp will always be 5c less then the vcores. (Example: My q6600 max load running small ftt's for 10 mins reaches 60c.well with that said I know my CPU Temp is 55c. the max of my chip is 71c. with all respect just do what I said and you will be fine. Theres also a great sticky here by computronix on dual cor and quad core temps helped me out alot.
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2009 8:36:59 PM

Real Temp. Easy to use, writes temps to a log every 5 seconds.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 14, 2009 8:50:55 PM

jdigital1983 said:
dont use everest.

Why?
June 14, 2009 8:56:20 PM

I've used Everest before, its a pretty good program I don't see why not to use it either?
June 14, 2009 9:14:07 PM

ok guys ive heard a lot of suggestions for speedfan, so im gonna use it. I would use realtemp but it does not support amd processors. I appreciate everyone's help so far but i have another part to my question. In speedfan which temp is the actual cpu? Ive read phenom II's only have one sensor and not one per core, so is it the one simply labeled as core temp or is it one of the others? I have sensors labeled temp 1,2, and 3 then the one labeled core. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this for me.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 14, 2009 9:26:04 PM

Speedfan, is that the one that can be recalibrated to give you numbers you like the look of?
June 15, 2009 12:35:25 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Speedfan, is that the one that can be recalibrated to give you numbers you like the look of?

Ok so lets say i dont use speedfan and i go back to everest, are you able to answer my question then? Which is do i use the lone cpu reading or go w/ the seperate core temp readings?
June 15, 2009 2:04:55 AM

nothing wrong with everest i just dont use it. I rever people to what i use and know works.

why is this thread still open?

bottom line your cpu has a max cpu temp of 70c. your saying your vcore load temps are 50-55c. even if they were 60c your cpu temp is 55c. your cpu temp will always be 5c lower than your vcores.

so dont worry about your temps and enjoy your rig.

(all of these temp programs are within a 2-3c degree range,so just keep that in mind for which ever you deside to go with. again I use real temp and core temp for vcore temps.speedfan for cpu temp. and prime 95 small ftts for 10min with 4 thread and 10 passes. note after 10min. of prime your cpu is saturated with heat. meaning you will only see a 1-2c flex after that.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 15, 2009 2:25:04 AM

The lone CPU temp is the temp at the spot in the centre of the die iirc and is usually 5-10 degrees lower than the core temps. the point is that all the readings are correct, each core will be running at different temps if one core is at 80% usage and the others are idle then the temp of that core will go up whilst the others don't and the CPU temp reading will also go up as the overall temp rises slightly and if all three cores are being used at say 50%, 80% 40% then each core reading will rise and so will the overall temp the CPU temp. I personally use Everest and as long as the CPU temp does not exceed my CPU's max which is 95c I couldn't give a stuff about the individual cores as the sensors are so small and can be prone to getting stuck (mine are not but it can happen). Does this help? or have I just made it as clear as mud?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 15, 2009 2:35:33 AM

jdigital1983 said:
why is this thread still open?

Have you not seen the dates on some the necro threads that have been dug up lately, this thread will remain open until the internet shuts down or a mod locks it. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2009 8:00:34 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you not seen the dates on some the necro threads that have been dug up lately, this thread will remain open until the internet shuts down or a mod locks it. :lol: 

And the internet will shut down when Skynet takes over the world, just in case anyone wants to know when it will happen.
June 15, 2009 10:21:35 AM

AKM880 said:
CoreTemp, HWMonitor.

i agree.
June 15, 2009 1:52:39 PM

well open or not i guess it doesn't matter, just hate repeating my self. +1 for mousemonkey
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2009 2:09:38 PM

So many people recommending Real Temp when it only works on Intel CPUs.
!